CDL...How did you obtain it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyonbc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was looking through a a thread in the employment forum and something struck my mind.

Now i do not have CDL...but i would like too.

My question is where or how did you all get your CDL license.

Any helpful hints to eventually get a CDL License.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Canyon

Go to the DMV and get the books. All you need to know is in there.
In KS, when you pass the written test, for whatever it is you want, I got air brakes class a (over 26k truck, and over 10k trailer) hazmat and doubles and triples. You get a 30 day "permit", then you need to take the driving test. My problem was geting someone to let me use a truck and trailer!!
There is also the ATC's, but it's a semeste class and a pita unless you want an otr job.

What are you talking semi or straight truck? If you have some skills and a liscensed driver you can rent a truck to pass the driving part. Some of the testing stations keep a couple trucks to rent there. That way you dont need a liscensed driver with you. Otherwise anymore its better to go to one of the schools and buy your ticket. Like Red said first step is get permit. Keep in mind if youve never driven a semi before your not just going to walk up to one and make it do what it takes to pass a test. Try to spend all the time you can inside a truck before you get the permit. If your thinking over the road semi driveing trust me it aint all that neat. Is good buckeroos though. I really doubt anyone could even pass a straight truck test without some time in one. If you do any drinking prepare to give up getting snockered on all but weekends. If Im rambleing cut me some slack its New Years eve. Good luck to ya.

If your thinking cdl for a tree business. My suggestion would be to stick with boost asissted hydraulic brakes and under 26001 gvr trucks. Whole lot less head aches that way.

In Indiana you take the general knowledge test along with at least one endorsment to receive your permit. Than I believe you have a year to pass your skills test and driving portion of the test. The testing station in my area is really picky with the skills part of the test...not even sure you can fail the driving part.
The permit here allows you to drive with a cdl holder with you in truck. You can take your own truck to testing site or for like $100 you can use the test sites vehicle. Btw the testing is run by contractors who are in it for the money. From what I can tell the like you to have to take the test twice. At least at the local site. The actuall skills and driving part of the testing cost $150 a pop.

you also must have a D.O.T medical card that states you are ok to drive then you can take the test and such, you will also need a truck for the test you are taking (A or B CDL) do what a lot of people here have done, go work for someone long enough to get the CDL then just leave........lol

oh yeah, be ready to prove who you are ten times over.

oh yeah again....I got mine while working for Davey Tree, I took the written test at the DMV office then Davey sent me to their district office to take the skills part (one of our supervisor was certified by the state to give the test & he was very strict) after passing that I went back to the DMV with a sealed envelope from him and got my CDL license, I did all this in two days

Last edited:
Our local community college offered a CDL and diesel tech night class around 10 yrs ago. I was able to work during the day and go to class at night and practice drive on the weekends. They supplied the tractor/trailer (13 speed White/Volvo's with 53' dry vans). The proper Ca DMV study guides for all endorsements but the passenger, Doctor for med card, DMV drive appointment and a pretrip inspection study guide.
They made it very simple for everyone to pass. It was a good deal.
I no longer drive a truck but I keep everything current. My record is spotless so I take only my HazMat test every 5 years. I suicide jockey for a pyro tech crew, so my haz mat is still used when needed :givebeer:

I got mine through work. They provided the truck and I took the test after driving with my foreman when I got the opportunity to drive. You must have your CDL permit too so you can drive with a licensed cdl driver.

If your thinking cdl for a tree business. My suggestion would be to stick with boost asissted hydraulic brakes and under 26001 gvr trucks. Whole lot less head aches that way.

a lot of outfits are requiring new hires to have a CDL... yeah it can be a headache,, but it can open a lot of doors also...can also open up a can of worms !!!!

My straight truck w/chipper requires a class "A" CDL, as the chipper I pull is over 10K. I put a link on my desktop for my state's DMV commercial drivers manual, and the CDL practice test. I studied until I always got 100% on the practice test, then went and passed the written exam the first time up. When I went for the skills test, I could only find a buddy with a class B, so I had to have my son tow my chipper (BC2000 w/grapple) with my pickup, and connect it on site to my class "B" truck, to be able to take the class "A" skills test. It was a hassle, but passing it wasn't a problem. Just memorize the pre-trip inspection steps until they are second nature. Print the list and have someone test you. I missed a few things, like I forgot to check the defrost to see if it worked (it was 85 outside), but not enough to fail. Just take it a step at a time until you get it done. Good luck! (er, I mean study hard).

Got my class A years ago working for my old boss. Miss driving but not the idiots on the road.

Got my class B at 18 on one of my dad's log trucks. Then class A at 21 with the flatbed rig at the company i was with at the time.

Practice for the A. Was a tough test here. Almost an hour long-on and off expressway, city traffic, backing, backing, backing, parallel park, ton of intersections to make sure you knew how to shift. And make sure you double-clutch. They will fail you for not doing that here.

Handy to have though.

Hey Canyonbc, I am getting my CDL right now. I took the written test at the local DMV, you need to get your medical card.(mine was 65.00)Look in the yellow pages, there's places that specialize in that, They just run you throu.They require a drug test, and a questionnaire. You can get the CDL hand book at the DMV or on-line at the DMV web site. One test is on air brakes, anther is a general, that gets you a class B, then there is more tests for different enhancement. The test for class A is vary easy. The permit is good for a year I think, and you can drive with a lic. CDL driver. You get three tries to pass the test.(I used all three) We have a tractor trailer combination at my work and my boss lets me use it in my off hours and one of our drivers takes me out. If you don't have access to a truck and driver to train you there are lots of schools. The cheapest I found was 1800.00. I am told the most difficult part of the driving test is the pre-inspection. One mistake and your driving test is post poned for that day. I saw a video somewhere on the net that teached just the preinspecton, I am going to get that before the test. Good luck. Wade

I just went to my family doctor for my medical card. Set up and apointment, 30 min latter I was done and insurance covered it.

The DOT Medical Exam and CMV Certification
Print

A Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination is conducted by a licensed "medical examiner." The term includes, but is not limited to, doctors of medicine (MD), doctors of osteopathy (DO), physician assistants (PA), advanced practice nurses (APN), and doctors of chiropractic (DC).

To find a medical examiner to conduct the DOT physical exam you may contact your primary care provider to inquire if they will conduct a "DOT physical exam." You may also find a medical examiner in the yellow pages of your telephone book, or on the Internet by using an Internet directory or search engine. Look under "Occupational Health." If your medical examiner does not have a Medical Examination Report, one may be downloaded.

A DOT physical exam is valid for up to 24 months. The medical examiner may also issue a medical examiner's certificate for less than 24 months when it is desirable to monitor a condition, such as high blood pressure.

Recordkeeping
If the medical examiner finds that the person he/she examined is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV), the medical examiner will furnish one copy of the results to the person who was examined and complete a Medical Examiner?s Certificate (page 9 of the Medical Examination Report). If a driver wishes the Certificate to be in card form, he/she may:

Purchase a separate "medical card" from an industry supplier of motor carrier forms (e.g., State trucking association) before the physical exam and ask the medical examiner to complete and sign it, in addition to the Medical Examination Report form; or
Print the Certificate on cardstock paper. It is permissible to reduce the size of the Certificate.

Hey Canyonbc, I am getting my CDL right now. I took the written test at the local DMV, you need to get your medical card.(mine was 65.00)Look in the yellow pages, there's places that specialize in that, They just run you throu.They require a drug test, and a questionnaire. You can get the CDL hand book at the DMV or on-line at the DMV web site. One test is on air brakes, anther is a general, that gets you a class B, then there is more tests for different enhancement. The test for class A is vary easy. The permit is good for a year I think, and you can drive with a lic. CDL driver. You get three tries to pass the test.(I used all three) We have a tractor trailer combination at my work and my boss lets me use it in my off hours and one of our drivers takes me out. If you don't have access to a truck and driver to train you there are lots of schools. The cheapest I found was 1800.00. I am told the most difficult part of the driving test is the pre-inspection. One mistake and your driving test is post poned for that day. I saw a video somewhere on the net that teached just the preinspecton, I am going to get that before the test. Good luck. Wade

Thanks Wade for the info.

I am gonna head to there sight right now. 1800, that i guess...well it is what it is.

I am gonna start by going to the dmv website.

Do you know the address to the sight with the movie???

Thanks Wade,

mike

Latest posts

Back