Cedar leftovers, any use for ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arky217

Arky217

ArboristSite Member
Been milling a bunch of Eastern Red Cedar.
Anyone use seasoned Eastern Red Cedar slabs for firewood ? Does it cause a lot of creosote ?
Also, what about cedar sawdust, does it have any uses ?

Thanks,
Arky

Cletuspsc

Cletuspsc

ArboristSite Operative
I use it for kindling once in a while. I split it real thin and let it dry then it burns really easy. I like it for when the stove has been cold for a bit and there are no coals left.

hammerlogging

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good kindling. How about little cloth bags for clothing drawers, I think these things are sold for the aroma. Maybe sell them at the farmers markets or something.

Last edited:
chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

ArboristSite Operative
I use it for kindling once in a while. I split it real thin and let it dry then it burns really easy. I like it for when the stove has been cold for a bit and there are no coals left.

Thats what I use it for. Perfect for getting the stove going after being out of the house all day.

Backwood

Backwood

ArboristSite Operative

Thanks,
Arky

Makes good animal bedding. Seems like the fleas and/or ?? ticks dont like it. Walmart and some farm supply places sell it in big bags.

I have friends that like to seek a small bag of cedar blocks in their closet , they say for the smell. Does make great kindling

jburlingham

jburlingham

Addicted to ArboristSite
Been milling a bunch of Eastern Red Cedar.
Anyone use seasoned Eastern Red Cedar slabs for firewood ? Does it cause a lot of creosote ?

Thanks,
Arky

I have burnt plenty of it, it burns really fast, I haven't seen any excess creosote from it at my place. Tie the sawdust into the foot of pantyhose and use it to in the dresser to add a nice smell.