Cedar leftovers, any use for ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arky217

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Been milling a bunch of Eastern Red Cedar.
Anyone use seasoned Eastern Red Cedar slabs for firewood ? Does it cause a lot of creosote ?
Also, what about cedar sawdust, does it have any uses ?

Thanks,
Arky

I use it for kindling once in a while. I split it real thin and let it dry then it burns really easy. I like it for when the stove has been cold for a bit and there are no coals left.

Good kindling. How about little cloth bags for clothing drawers, I think these things are sold for the aroma. Maybe sell them at the farmers markets or something.

Last edited:
I use it for kindling once in a while. I split it real thin and let it dry then it burns really easy. I like it for when the stove has been cold for a bit and there are no coals left.

Thats what I use it for. Perfect for getting the stove going after being out of the house all day.

Another vote for stove kindling. I rarely have much of it and mostly use white pine but would take cedar over it any time. Pops alot and might be ill-advised for a fireplace.

Thanks,
Arky

Makes good animal bedding. Seems like the fleas and/or ?? ticks dont like it. Walmart and some farm supply places sell it in big bags.

I have friends that like to seek a small bag of cedar blocks in their closet , they say for the smell. Does make great kindling

there is a mulch plant at Ola ,south of russellville and another at Berryville that are buying slabs now,let me know if you want the contact info

Been milling a bunch of Eastern Red Cedar.
Anyone use seasoned Eastern Red Cedar slabs for firewood ? Does it cause a lot of creosote ?

Thanks,
Arky

I have burnt plenty of it, it burns really fast, I haven't seen any excess creosote from it at my place. Tie the sawdust into the foot of pantyhose and use it to in the dresser to add a nice smell.

Latest posts

Back