cedar trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywood

Reaction score
This is my first post on this board, but I have been reading this board for some time. I think all of members here are truly professional and highly educated in arborculture and really give credence to the entire green industry by taking time to properly care for nature's best gift: trees. I work for a lawn and landscape company which focuses on tree and shrub installation and turf installation and maintenance, so I know little about serious tree maintenance. However, reading these boards has taught me that there is a tremendous amount to it. More than the general public seem to comprehend.
My question is regarding the topping of cedar trees. My uncle owns a home along a county road. Power lines and telephone lines both run along the front of his property. Lining the front are cedar trees. I do not know the exact type. They are over 50 years old (my uncle was a kid when they were planted and he is now 54) and are approx. 30-40 feet high. Several weeks ago a tree service contracted by the local government, camr through and topped all eight of the cedars which run parallel but not under the said lines. The outermost needles are 4-5 feet away from the lines, making the trunks approx. 8-10 feet away from the lines, since I estimate the trunks to be 18-20 '' diameter. I am figuring the trees were on the easement so they are subject to someone else's decision regarding their future. The tree service removed about six feet off the top of each tree. No other cuts were made on the tree. Now they all have completely flat tops. I have noticed more sunlight comes through the tops. What can I expect to happen to these trees? Will they die shortly due to the injury they sustained? Are there any signs I should look for that would indicate a serious problem to the trees health and stability? I still do not know why they were topped but am equally as upset as my uncle. Any opinions or answers would be very helpful. I thank anyone who reads this.

I've delt with juniper and arb's, both called cedar. These can be topped and shorn, arbo more severly then juniper, being that it does not bud from "old" wood well. I undestand that Chamecyparis can be treated roughly too.

What you will probinly get is the outer branches all trying to become dominamnt.. Some people take these plants and sort of hedge shape them, I've done it out of a bucket before.

Best confirm the genera first. This is the case for learning latin nomencature.

Back