cell phone do not call list (This is an urban legend, see post 4)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd H

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public next month.
REMINDER.... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing
companies and you will start to receive sale calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
888-382-1222.
It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your
time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the
cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a
different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.. It takes about 20
seconds.

From http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt107.shtm

"10. Can I register my cell phone on the National Do Not Call Registry?

Yes, you may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry. The registry has accepted cell phone numbers since it opened for registrations in June 2003. There is no deadline to register a home or cell phone number on the Registry.

You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers don’t call consumers on their cell phones without their consent."

Looks like it wouldn't hurt to have your cell phone number on the DNC list but there appears to be no impending flood of calls.

No, this is pure BS.

There is no need to do anything extra to protect cell phone numbers from telemarketers.

This has been circulating for several years and was evidently started by someone who wished to stir things up needlessly or was ignorant of the law.

Unfortunately, it is still being spread by (presumably) well meaning individuals who are unable or unwilling to perform simple and basic fact checking before posting or emailing.

Steve

PS dang, I type too slow (or too much)!

Last edited:
It is not B.S. to add your cell number to the list. Even though there may not be an impending flood of calls coming it doesn't hurt to add it.
This from the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.
https://nocall.wisconsin.gov/web/home.asp
Effective June 6, 2008, Wisconsin residents can add their mobile telephone numbers to the List.

It is not B.S. to add your cell number to the list. Even though there may not be an impending flood of calls coming it doesn't hurt to add it.
This from the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.
https://nocall.wisconsin.gov/web/home.asp
Effective June 6, 2008, Wisconsin residents can add their mobile telephone numbers to the List.

Sure, you CAN add it, there's just no valid reason to do so since it's already protected.

Steve

cell list

Well I learned something today, as always on AS. Thanks folks for straightening me up. Glad to hear this info as well

Q haven't seen that since high school... old news Q

sigh, you make me feel way old. when I was in high school we had party line dial phone. cells were decades away. even my kids were on the later end of having cell phones in high school.

but many of the urban legends made the transitions in new forms from paper petitions to inet petitions. Madelynn Murray Ohair/FCC is one.

Snopes or Truthorfiction shoudl be on everyones Fav list.

kcj

sigh, you make me feel way old. when I was in high school we had party line dial phone. cells were decades away. even my kids were on the later end of having cell phones in high school.

but many of the urban legends made the transitions in new forms from paper petitions to inet petitions. Madelynn Murray Ohair/FCC is one.

kcj

LOL, When I was in high school we also had the old black rotary dial phone that was as big as a toaster, and phone numbers were like CL5-6234 or Clearbrook 5-6234

Last edited:
Strange. I was getting all kinds of spam calls on my cell. Signed up the number now none.

kcj

I remember them party lines. Seems like everytime I wanted to use the phone someone in the neighborhood was already talking.:phone:

I had a telemarketer call my cell in November. She said that my vehicle's warranty was about to expire, the recorded voice said to hold while I was connected with someone who could help me, So I held. A guy came on the line and I interupted his spiel. I said; Do you mean to tell me that I can buy a warranty for my pickup truck? He said; Yes sir, you can. Tell me, what is the make and model, and mileage of your truck? I said; It's a 1967 Ford F-100 4x4, but it has one ton axles under it now. It reads a little over 97,000 miles, but it might have rolled over a time or two. I'd sure like to get this warranty started, I have some things I'd like to fix on it.
There was no reply, only silence, and then the phone went dead. I haven't heard back from them, I'd sure like to get that warranty.:hmm3grin2orange:

Andy

I had a telemarketer call my cell in November. She said that my vehicle's warranty was about to expire, the recorded voice said to hold while I was connected with someone who could help me, So I held. A guy came on the line and I interupted his spiel. I said; Do you mean to tell me that I can buy a warranty for my pickup truck? He said; Yes sir, you can. Tell me, what is the make and model, and mileage of your truck? I said; It's a 1967 Ford F-100 4x4, but it has one ton axles under it now. It reads a little over 97,000 miles, but it might have rolled over a time or two. I'd sure like to get this warranty started, I have some things I'd like to fix on it.
There was no reply, only silence, and then the phone went dead. I haven't heard back from them, I'd sure like to get that warranty.:hmm3grin2orange:

Andy

I love it when people mess with them :censored: telemarketers.:yourock:

To add, not to add, that is your own choice. I do want you to know that there is a possiblity that you are publishing your cell phone to be called for sales call as you fill out the "Customer Satisfaction Survey" or other mail/online questionaires. It is considered "normal course of business" for calls to be placed if you have provided it.

Just an FYI.. your local Pizza place may provide your info, (Or those pesky stores that ask you for your phone #. YOU DO NOT have to provide one)

Back