central boiler fire out of control

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
what a night! i am a new owner and with little experience with my 6048.
after loading it today to the max i wonted to see how it was doing. after opening the door it looked like not much was going on inside. i turned around to get the hoe and flames was billowing out the stack!the spark arrester was glowing red,she was making some noise. i shut the door to tame it down. never seen anything like it. i was ready to dial 911. lol ..
you guys ever experienced anything like this?

I dont think your wife would appreciate you calling her names like that

Sounds like the creosote in your stack caught when the increased draft pulled the flames near the stack. Letting it burn off isn't going to hurt anything. Sounds like your wood is probably green with your pics and stories of late.

I have had the same thing happen where if you leave the door open the flames will get large very fast. Another thing to watch out for is when you open the door never stand directly in front of it. The reason is if you open the door just after the damper opens up the rush of air can cause a blow back of flames that will shoot out right at your face. I have seen this first hand on my own boiler and on my brothers boiler. I was off to the side when it happened. My brothers wife was not as lucky.

I cleaned out the ash pan on my unit and when I slid it back in I didn't lock it and it let some air so my boiler boiled over and that scared the shi* out of me .
I have fire blowing out of my door and stack alot and it is no big deal .
the thing to watch for is that deal with the hot gases blowing up in your face when you open the door.
my wife has lost a little hair from that and also from getting to clode when loading a big log.

what a night! i am a new owner and with little experience with my 6048.
after loading it today to the max i wonted to see how it was doing. after opening the door it looked like not much was going on inside. i turned around to get the hoe and flames was billowing out the stack!the spark arrester was glowing red,she was making some noise. i shut the door to tame it down. never seen anything like it. i was ready to dial 911. lol ..
you guys ever experienced anything like this?

You let it flare up leaving the door open after it had shut down and ignited all the hot wood gasses. I have done that too though. No biggie. Not a creosote issue. Just a lot of flames in the firebox is all. If you have the cap and spark arrester, the mesh will burn out pretty fast (mine did in about 3 months). Also if that happens and the damper does not shut (fault someplace like the controller or damper solenoid; or if you leave the door open) it can boil over. But that is all it does. It just boils over, gushes water and steam, and then settles down. The steam takes away a lot of heat. These things are actually quite safe. UL approved. Ours boiled over 3 times with a faulty controller that they repalced under watantee. No need to call 911. Just turn it off for a while and let it cool down a bit, and refill it to the top level with water. Been fine now for over 2 years with no boilovers after the controller was repalced.

That's what's known as burnin the stink off!:laugh: Nothing out of the ordinary there..Mine will do the same thing especially with super dry wood in it. The time to watch out for this is when the temp on your stove is close or at the high limit setting, the damper has just shut and the fire has just started to chill out... When you open the door it gives it a blast of air and it will fire up immediately! Sometimes almost explosive!!!! Crack the door and let it slowly take some air and relieve the fire box gasses..

On the brighter side of your experience, You did'nt get burned and you've got a super clean chimney now!!!!:clap:

that is why

I have a outdoor woodboiler, emphasis on outdoor. Mine has looked like a dog house with a roman candle sticking out of it. I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away. It was burning the croesote from the stack. Be careful of the blow back when you open the door if the unit has just shut down.

Sounds like the creosote in your stack caught when the increased draft pulled the flames near the stack. Letting it burn off isn't going to hurt anything. Sounds like your wood is probably green with your pics and stories of late.

+1 yep. Imagine it's a little scary first time but not going to bother much on your OWB. Let me tell you though, when it happens inside the house, it's a might bit scarier and roars like a freight train. It goes on for quite a while too. DAMHIK.

Wait until you load it and get a little too close and singe your eyebrows and bangs a little. Then you walk into the house and the wife asks, "Why do I smell burnt hair?":ices_rofl:

Now thats funny....lol

Not to worry!

It's Central Boilers' secondary combustion technology. :)

Just kidding. My guess is the other outdoor boiler users here have already answered your question.

When you open the door it gives it a blast of air and it will fire up immediately! Sometimes almost explosive!!!! Crack the door and let it slowly take some air and relieve the fire box gasses..

That's why a lot of OWB's have a secondary catch on the door latch. So you can crack the door open for a minute and not worry about it flashing back and blowing the door open.

That's why a lot of OWB's have a secondary catch on the door latch. So you can crack the door open for a minute and not worry about it flashing back and blowing the door open.

Ah yes....And all they have to do is come up with an automatic wood feeder and we'll all be set!:monkey:

Sounds like there is no more, "Honey can you get me a beer," either.

Looks like a mechanical wood loading means will be needed (or, get a new wood slave?)

Back