Central Illinois/ Iowa GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumpity bump

Any dates yet, anything going on. There are a bunch of people, me included that would like to see this happen. I know it must be a lot of work, but there are willing hands. I am free except for the last weekend in April and first week in May. JR

Any dates yet, anything going on. There are a bunch of people, me included that would like to see this happen. I know it must be a lot of work, but there are willing hands. I am free except for the last weekend in April and first week in May. JR

Somebody needs to take the bull by the horns!:monkey:

i would like to attend and like i said before could help prepare in some way probably. have a skid steer with grapple that is great for moving and placing logs if that would be needed.

This sure seems to have died. Not sure why as there was sure lot's of interest.

Bill

Yeah, have heard nothing from the guys who were talking about setting it up. To bad, I was looking forward to meeting some new people, and seeing you again Bill. JR

Yeah, have heard nothing from the guys who were talking about setting it up. To bad, I was looking forward to meeting some new people, and seeing you again Bill. JR

I am not sure what has happened. It does seem lost now.

I've never been to one, what all does it entail? I have five acres to work with, and probably could get enough wood, but I'm not certain how it all goes down and how to prep. This was one of the backburner reasons that I wanted this one to go down, so I could maybe host one someday down the road.

I've never been to one, what all does it entail? I have five acres to work with, and probably could get enough wood, but I'm not certain how it all goes down and how to prep. This was one of the backburner reasons that I wanted this one to go down, so I could maybe host one someday down the road.

Where are you at in IL?...I have never been to one either, but would be more than willing to help get things going if you are close w/ in reason...

Fellas....sorry to let ya down on this thing.
I did not start this thread.
I started out offering to help....no response.
I then suggested, with some help...maybe I could make this happen.
I then posted another thread asking how to put on an event like this and got 0 responses.
Looking into it I found that 1 day insurance for an event like this would cost $300.00
Asked how you would cover this and got no answers.

I run a gun club and will be into shooting season, shortly, and have no further time to invest into this.

I would still like this to happen but it will have to be this fall or next spring when I have the time to make it all work.....and I still need advice how to pull this off, as I have never been to an event like this..

I apologize to all for stepping forward on this but the fact is I overloaded my ass on this and cannot pull it off by myself, in such a short time frame.

Last edited:
It is sad to see this die. I still plan the shows in Hamilton IL (August) and New Windsor IL (September) It looks like I may have to get this going myself for early summer. I had hoped the original poster would have followed through.

Bill

Guys,
I have considered having a GTG at my place in Mattoon IL. I have plenty of space and some nice clean logs that need cut. All the infrastructure is here, shop, tractor, compressed air, saw grinder, power, and a refrig for a beer or two.

Mattoon is south of Champaign, north of Effingham and I am about 3 milrs off of I57. Coles County airport is close if you want to fly in.

Here are some pics;

IMG_1274.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Supervision;
IMG_0654.jpg

Maybe in june before it gets too hot? These are my firewood logs and I would like them cut 18 inches, but we can have fun doing it.

What do you think?

Bob

i have never been to a gtg either, but would be glad as i have said before to donate/bring whatever i could and that would be needed. our business has a skidsteer with a great grapple that would make moving logs a piece of cake.we just need some input from people who have done this to get us on the right path.

hope it happens, would be a great time.

Mattoon is a bit further for some of us up in Iowa, but I would like to try depending on the date.

All you really need are some logs and a place to gather, everything else is just details.

Somebody make a decision!

Mark Heimann

Hey Mark, you seem to have the most experience, and the most saws. Maybe we should appoint you grand poohbah of the greater Iowa/Illinois Sawman's Association Annual GTG committee. ;)

I've got family, inlaws, in the Quads. I also lived there for a year while I finished chasing my wife down. Still got her, so the quads can be an easy central point of departure for me.

As far as having it here someday, I figured on the having enough area and the possession of plenty of wood, it's the details that I'm sort of after.
I'm a half hour north of Champaign-Urbana, so I'm better suited for an Illinois, or an Illinois/ Indiana GTG, but all would be welcome, naturally.

Hey Mark, you seem to have the most experience, and the most saws. Maybe we should appoint you grand poohbah of the greater Iowa/Illinois Sawman's Association Annual GTG committee. ;)

I've got family, inlaws, in the Quads. I also lived there for a year while I finished chasing my wife down. Still got her, so the quads can be an easy central point of departure for me.

As far as having it here someday, I figured on the having enough area and the possession of plenty of wood, it's the details that I'm sort of after.
I'm a half hour north of Champaign-Urbana, so I'm better suited for an Illinois, or an Illinois/ Indiana GTG, but all would be welcome, naturally.

Count me in for sure in this area...

Back