Certified Arborist Test...Knots???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Succeeded.

Received confirmation today that I passed my test and am now a Certified Arborist.

Actually, now I am a Certified Arborist and a Certified Landscape Technician.

I thought I may have cut it close on the ID section, but I squeezed by with 89% on that part.

Congraulations, Mario!
happy-thumbsup4.gif

Ya better edit yur profile! :)

Maybe so.

I'll have to think through a few versions now.

One country club crew in the 80s used to call me "the master of invention" - I liked that one.

To many designers I'm the "master of headaches" because I rub cross grain to a lot of the floozy designers. Some of them remind me of the wine industry crowd I met at wine tastings years ago.

Way to go Mario!

I was just in Beaverton to celebrate my Mom's 90th birthday. A whirlwind trip, had to get back, being swamped with work, and another windstorm too boot.

We visited the nature preserve west of Tektronix, what a great mix of arborea.

Congratulations Mario. Now you can fill out those elaborate tree forms in Lake O if you want, gotta be certified:D. I still keep an eye out for your truck when in the West Hills.

OR Climber - loved my 97 Dodge so much that I upgraded in less than a year to a 2003.

So the truck you need to look for now is a 2003 Dodge Ram quad cab - all white. The trailer is corrugated silver. I only letter my back windows.

email me sometime near the holidays if you would like to have lunch at the Mongolian BBQ or Chinese or something.

I'll check into the Lake Oswego stuff soon.

Thanks.

What do you consider more valuable: your CLT or CA? I know it will vary based on the individual, but I would still be interested in knowing what has served you best or will serve you in the future since the CA is new for you.

Nickrosis

Honestly, aside from what I think anyone else wants from me, the CLT has more meat to it from an overall entire landscape care point of view. My particular CLT that is. There are a few different CLTs.

Portland Community College's CLT is one entire year of college. That certification will cover almost anything the Certified Arborist exam can throw at its landscape technician with its plant ID, tree care, horticulture, soils and pesticide classes.

That CLT program covers up to 300 trees and shrubs for ID, turfgrass ID and care, Irrigation, and a whole bunch of other classes.

When I got my CLT years ago, I could have passed the Arborist exam using about 25% of my CLT training. But I didn't really care for the ISA certificate back then.

But in recent years, the ISA certification and test seems to have grown in leaps and bounds, to where I am proud to say that I have achieved that certification also.

Some people said I would "ace" the ISA test. But from what I was aware of, I knew it would be work. And part of my reason for studying was to learn more, not just take the exam.

And it was not easy by any means. The study guide is one of the best designed pieces of work I have seen.

Honestly, I can say that my work habits and safety habits have already improved just from studying and reviewing the material for the ISA test.

From a trees only point of view, I'd give the ISA certification 15% over the worth of a one year college CLT right now. And as a holder of both certifications, I'd say that I respect each fairly equally.

In general, I think that the average arborist is a bit more ambitious to achieve top notch plant care that the average landscape technician.

That may be why the term "landscaper" is has not been on my business card. When people hear the word "arborist", they almost automatically associate the term with quality and responsibility.

TreeCo, you aren't going to catch me up there.

I had climbing gear about 10 years ago. I didn't get any higher than 40 feet and knew I was not going to conquer my fear of heights. So the next week I sold most of it.

I'll always hire a climber - certified preferred. But I am enjoying learning about rigging and climbing, because it is helping me understand the needs and limitations of people climbing for me. That way I can provide ample size bids and time so they have plenty of time on their hands to do the work right and safely.

Thanks for the support by the way.

Best knot to tie two ropes together? Carrik bend. Plus it's the sweetiest knot I've ever seen. best knot to tie on a chain saw? Truckers hitch. Best knot to tie on a rope? Quick hitch.

T

Tie on a chainsaw with a Trucker's Hitch? Sounds odd. What knot are you calling the Trucker's Hitch?

love
nick

OK, the dude that showed me the knot called it a Truckers hitch. I don't think it is...but it's a great little Knot for tying on a chainsaw. I'm sorry that I am incapable of showing a pic. but hopefully I can describe it well enough for you all to understand..
Pass a bite of rope through the handle of the saw, then pass the climbers line through that loop, then the tail through that loop.
All I know is that when you pull the saw up to you, all you have to do is pull the standing end of your rope and the saw is untied.
Sweet...

T

Okay, I know exactly what knot you're talking about. It's a great knot that I use often. It's sometimes called the Waggoner's Hitch. I tried to find it in ABOK, but couldn't (which isn't to say that it's not in there).

I use it when up in the tree to tie off a lowering line that I will need in a moment. Quick to tie, super quick to untie.

Just make sure that there is no chance of a pull on the tail end of the rope when you send up a chainsaw with this knot!

I'm a big fan of slip knots.

love
nick,
Member,
International Guild of Knot Tyers

Highwayman's hitch

If I understand correctly, I've sometimes heard this referred to as a Highwayman's Hitch.

How is this different from the Slippery Hitch described in the Tree Climber's Companion? Just curious.

-Kevin
[Also an IGKT member since, whoo, October!]

Highwayman's Hitch! That's what people are calling it. Google that name and you all can see the one "I" am thinking of, now kevinz and t6140p have to tell if that's what they had in mind. (Aren't knots fun)

http://w1.220.telia.com/~u22008866/img/smugglarstek.gif

I've read in a few places that it can withstand a substantial strain on locked/load end. I tried it and can often collapse the knot with much less than my body weight, causing it to fall apart. The bigger the rope, more of a load it can sustain.

They say the wiley horseman would tie their horses with this so they could make a quick getaway!

love
nick

ps- kevinz, I looked in the Tree Climbers Companion and couldn't find mention of the Slippery Hitch. I found the Quick hitch, which is different.

Back