Certified Tree Expert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've read where in New Jersey, any tree company must have a Certified Tree Expert or a Licenced Tree Care Operator on staff, which is different from a CA.

Apparently you need to be tested to qualify for a CTE and there is a Board of Tree Experts who will investigate complaints.

Can any of you guys from Joisey expand on the details?

there is no explanation.

it's just Jersey.

I'd say it's for the same reason you can't pump your own gas.Some drunk who can't operate a toothbrush or a bar of soap but has a union card can always do it better than you.

MD is the same way. Has to be a licensed tree expert within the company. You have to qualify to take the tree expert exam, which is either through experience with another company or a degree in forestry or related field. Pass the exam, show proof of state required insurance coverage, and you're good to go. You have to renew the license yearly. Kind of a pain to keep up with, but I think it is a good thing overall. It keeps the jacklegs running kind of scared, the state has upped its enforcement lately. Plus, it keeps every lawn guy from being a tree guy too.

MD is the same way. Has to be a licensed tree expert within the company. You have to qualify to take the tree expert exam, which is either through experience with another company or a degree in forestry or related field. Pass the exam, show proof of state required insurance coverage, and you're good to go. You have to renew the license yearly. Kind of a pain to keep up with, but I think it is a good thing overall. It keeps the jacklegs running kind of scared, the state has upped its enforcement lately. Plus, it keeps every lawn guy from being a tree guy too.

correct, also you will need 32 CEU's every 2 years and a model saftey program in effect with proof. if you have been doing it for a long time and have G.L. and W.C. and follow up with the ceu's you will qualify for a LTCO. if you pass the state exam and have one of a few different qualifications you will be a LTCE... some qualifications consist of 4 years college in the arbor field and 1 year hands on in the field or 2 years college and 2 years in the field of course both have to pass the "test".it should keep the hacks and the scrapers out of the trees. not always easy to catch the week-end-warriors. I'm all for it. maybe this will bring the money back into the business for the serious tree service

Sounds like a good deal. I wish Texas had something like that. You can be extremely, extremely incompetent here and do anything.

Thats a bunch of garbage really , there is absolutely no enforcement other than the voluntary state license , this state loves any contractor and in no way will enforce this mandatory state license, I have been in business for more than a decade and all of the things that I have done to separate myself from anyone else with a saw has been completely voluntary , this state has more tree cutters and landscapers than anywhere else I've visited, maybe its time for a mandatory test..The question who will enforce it , they are laying off park rangers and foresters left and right the state is broke .. So what am I missing? There is a company that has operated for thirty yrs. based In Blackwood doing trees and landscape and has never been licensed a member of anything other than the chamber of commerce and thrived unlicensed and I can't see anything changing in the forseable future..

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal. I wish Texas had something like that. You can be extremely, extremely incompetent here and do anything.

sounds good to me. when jersey starts enforcing the law, I will send some incompetents your way. after all, they will need to go somewhere, they can't stay here...LOL :D

Last edited:
Thats a bunch of garbage really , there is absolutely no enforcement other than the voluntary state license , this state loves any contractor and in no way will enforce this mandatory state license, I have been in business for more than a decade and all of the things that I have done to separate myself from anyone else with a saw has been completely voluntary , this state has more tree cutters and landscapers than anywhere else I've visited, maybe its time for a mandatory test..The question who will enforce it , they are laying off park rangers and foresters left and right the state is broke .. So what am I missing? There is a company that has operated for thirty yrs. based In Blackwood doing trees and landscape and has never been licensed a member of anything other than the chamber of commerce and thrived unlicensed and I can't see anything changing in the forseable future..

I think the DEP may get in on enforcing it. I could be wrong, but whats wrong with learning a little more about the business I have been in for 27 yr's...
look up "TREE EXPERTS and TREE CARE OPERATORS LICENSING ACT"

I agree with mckee and am glad ya'll up north who have some enforcement seem to be benefiting. It's true though, down south in the great country of texas anyone can hack your trees (its not left to those with chainsaws even...machetes and skil circular saws do the job too!) Despite what some on this site, and any where else might say or think, I think becoming a CA is a good idea. I say this now because I finally went down to austin and took the test. I would have enjoyed studying a bit more for the test but am glad I took it. I'll know soon enough what the bubble checker thinks I know. And yes...some silly questions were on there...Oh well. I look forward to being a CA. I don't plan on changing much of anything. We already run a good ship :p I would become a CTE if it ever gets down here. CTSP could be worth it...different thread, and down the road for sure. I prefer my alphabet soup in a bowl.

Aight, derail/babble complete.

Yep here in Louisiana I just took the "arborist" exam here. It was 65 for the application and isa study guide, 50 to take the exam, and now another 75 for the license after I get a 100 to 150 thou bond. I really was going to get it so I had something more to offer the guy I work for. Well when I get the insurance I think I may go free lance. There are a lot of tree services here and not a lot of good climbers....well that can hang.:chainsaw:

I think the DEP may get in on enforcing it. I could be wrong, but whats wrong with learning a little more about the business I have been in for 27 yr's...
look up "TREE EXPERTS and TREE CARE OPERATORS LICENSING ACT"

I've checked out your website and I have to say its impressive so your advice is not falling on deaf ears , I have done nursery landscaping and tree care for my entire life , briefly taking a break to be a ironworker , and in that time have heard repeatedly that there gonna enforce a license and without it than "NO SOUP FOR YOU" but the problem is it has never happened and in all likely hood is not in the near future , but a nice gesture by the state to promise it . I have spoken to county and state foresters through the forestry service and nothing half of them don't even know what the hell I'm talking about..

We had a guy come on our job in new orleans and he wanted our "state certified arborist" on the job with us....she has never fired up a saw, but she did score 100% on the test. He also told us of all hacks down here.

I've checked out your website and I have to say its impressive so your advice is not falling on deaf ears , I have done nursery landscaping and tree care for my entire life , briefly taking a break to be a ironworker , and in that time have heard repeatedly that there gonna enforce a license and without it than "NO SOUP FOR YOU" but the problem is it has never happened and in all likely hood is not in the near future , but a nice gesture by the state to promise it . I have spoken to county and state foresters through the forestry service and nothing half of them don't even know what the hell I'm talking about..

thank you for the compliment. I am signed for the prep course, but I'm afraid ur right, little to no policing of the law. they are looking to complete the licensing within 3 years if I am correct. so take your time, educate yourself and don't expect much more than some knowledge about trees and a lot of license fee's. all I read is about the newly established Board and the revenue they predict to raise and how many companies they plan on licensing per year. so if your the guy who gets licesed on the 3rd or 4th year you avoid all the fee's that the guys licensed from the first year had to pay plus the 32 CEU's evry 2 years. my advice is get all your ducks in a row and hang tight for them to call your name. don't go volunteering anything to them. they will be looking for volunteers to send in ads and yellow pages andany thing you can get your hands on about other tree services. not to fine them, just to collect the money. I will take the course, then the test, and then hold tight till I hear from them.......

you know ,some kind of legislation or inforcement needs to be in place to keep the dopers and drunks out of the trees.its hard to bid against someone who will do a job for the price of a case of beer or a bag of pot or an 8ball of crack.you know what i meen??

thank you for the compliment. I am signed for the prep course, but I'm afraid ur right, little to no policing of the law. they are looking to complete the licensing within 3 years if I am correct. so take your time, educate yourself and don't expect much more than some knowledge about trees and a lot of license fee's. all I read is about the newly established Board and the revenue they predict to raise and how many companies they plan on licensing per year. so if your the guy who gets licesed on the 3rd or 4th year you avoid all the fee's that the guys licensed from the first year had to pay plus the 32 CEU's evry 2 years. my advice is get all your ducks in a row and hang tight for them to call your name. don't go volunteering anything to them. they will be looking for volunteers to send in ads and yellow pages andany thing you can get your hands on about other tree services. not to fine them, just to collect the money. I will take the course, then the test, and then hold tight till I hear from them.......

I think my move will be exactly that ,speak when spoken too , leave well enough alone and stay a small spec on the radar.

correct, also you will need 32 CEU's every 2 years and a model saftey program in effect with proof. if you have been doing it for a long time and have G.L. and W.C. and follow up with the ceu's you will qualify for a LTCO. if you pass the state exam and have one of a few different qualifications you will be a LTCE... some qualifications consist of 4 years college in the arbor field and 1 year hands on in the field or 2 years college and 2 years in the field of course both have to pass the "test".it should keep the hacks and the scrapers out of the trees. not always easy to catch the week-end-warriors. I'm all for it. maybe this will bring the money back into the business for the serious tree service

These two posts seem to contradict each other. Is there really a mandatory test, insurance requirements, CEU's and a state license? Where can you find this information? The DCA doesn't seem to have info readily available about a state license.

I don't know what the "DCA" is. the bill has passed in the senate, it is not voluntary, it will take several years to put in place and who knows if and when they will actually police the new license.

the DEP will establish "THE NEW JERSEY BOARD OF TREE EXPERTS"
GET YOUR CHECKBOOK OUT and START SIGNING CHECKS .......... post # 9 tells you how to look up the new licensing

Last edited:
These two posts seem to contradict each other. Is there really a mandatory test, insurance requirements, CEU's and a state license? Where can you find this information? The DCA doesn't seem to have info readily available about a state license.

I believe that high point has invesigated this a little further than myself , til this point the license has been voluntary with little or no enforcement , I have waited for the testing for quite some time but have no money riding on the fact that it will be enforced effectively , the cost of enforcement will surely fall on the lap of the licensed as usual..At this point I am licensed through the department of consumer affairs and the state forestry department to practice tree care with no endorsement for pesticides..

Back