chain about wore out pics required

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chains with just a little bit of cutter tooth left cut great!

Less metal = less weight = more speed!

I got a chain on my 372 about like that, it cuts softwood FAST.
I agree with those statements!
I have cut up beech tree trunks with my 2 big saws, both wearing chains just shy of the witness mark - hot knife through butter comes to mind.
Those two chains are now a few touch ups past the witness mark and I cut my 40+" oak tree trunks with them - I admit that the kerf tends to be somewhat tight at times.

This is what they looked like at the time that post was made, they have been used since then and , as said , are now past the witness mark.
My "dirty work" chains , in following order:
#1) fully worn ready for the recycle bin
#2) 3 years old worn but still good chain , pleasant to use , not aggressive
#3) bullet eating chain , even worn this far still extremely aggressive and unpleasant to use in small wood:
View attachment 415551 View attachment 415552 View attachment 415553

Ever had a chain break cutting in wood?? I have scary stuff!! I used to sharpen mine down to nothing....... I thought I was being efficient and smart. not now sometimes you have to learn when to hang it up for good. IMO. (humbly)
I had my chains snap due to worn tie straps as I had no clue how to sharpen a chain - that was while I only had my little SachsDolmar [email protected].
I have learned since then that I'll rather sharpen my chains more often and wear the teath before the tie straps or drive links crap out.
That been said , thus far I had no chain breakage on my PS-6400 since I bought her in 2006 - the chains usually loose their teeth and then get tossed into the recycle bin.

I have already been told that I am cheap , that I'll wear my 9 years old bar faster , that a chain worn that far will cause damage to the rim sprocket that always gets replaced with the chain - I don't care!

It is a matter of preference how far one is willing , or feeling comfortable , to wear a chain!

I agree with those statements!
I have cut up beech tree trunks with my 2 big saws, both wearing chains just shy of the witness mark - hot knife through butter comes to mind.
Those two chains are now a few touch ups past the witness mark and I cut my 40+" oak tree trunks with them - I admit that the kerf tends to be somewhat tight at times.

This is what they looked like at the time that post was made, they have been used since then and , as said , are now past the witness mark.

I had my chains snap due to worn tie straps as I had no clue how to sharpen a chain - that was while I only had my little SachsDolmar [email protected].
I have learned since then that I'll rather sharpen my chains more often and wear the teath before the tie straps or drive links crap out.
That been said , thus far I had no chain breakage on my PS-6400 since I bought her in 2006 - the chains usually loose their teeth and then get tossed into the recycle bin.

I have already been told that I am cheap , that I'll wear my 9 years old bar faster , that a chain worn that far will cause damage to the rim sprocket that always gets replaced with the chain - I don't care!

It is a matter of preference how far one is willing , or feeling comfortable , to wear a chain!
Now my chain looks new

:lol:
Just a matter of perspective, right?! :laugh:

Another odd thing I noticed while using well worn chains - they seem less prone to dulling when they come in contact with dirt embedded in the bark of a tree trunk. o_O
I have not noticed that. They still dull just as quickly. Just not as visually noticed cause cutters are smaller

Maybe the smaller cutters avoid the rocks?

Philbert
That was exactly what I was thinking!
More space/room between the racker and the tooth allowing dirt to be carried through the cut rather then being grinded apart by the teeth!?

Maybe I'm wrong , maybe a worn chain isn't less prone to dulling - it doesn't even matter.
I like worn chains for cutting thinner stuff (no more then the bar length, in my case 20") , they eat their way through the wood differently then new chains.
The only issue I see and admit is the narrower kerf , it causes the bar to get stuck in strong wood.
Also worth mentioning is that a worn chain is cutting really small stuff (like under 4") quite rough , so I try to avoid that scenario as well.

In my own defence, I do realize that:
- a) one should clean the tree trunks bark
- b) cut in a way so that the dirt faces the power head and doesn't get pulled all the way through the cut

Point is:
- a) I will remove big chunks of dirt and stones if I see them , but I will not entirely remove the bark all around the cutting area or wash the tree trunks like I have seen many others do
- b) I always try to cut in a way so the dirty trunk side faces my saw. This is not always possible though as my firewood is usually "dragged" out of the forrest to a clearing where a big truck then picks it up. That been said the tree trunks are quite often covered in dirt all around. Also , I don't have the means to flip and turn an entire tree trunk to my hearts desire , I usually have to cut them up the way the delivery truck places them in my yard.

I'll try get some pictures of the current state of my worn chains today , stay tuned! ;)

Never had a chain break, although I have seen some cracked links, and some scary repair jobs, on loops that I would not run.

I have had chains 'jump' off the bar, and have had cutters break off - good reasons for PPE, chain catchers, etc.

Oregon and others warn of 'chain shot' with harvesters, that looks pretty scary.

Philbert

http://www.oregonproducts.com/harvester/service/chain_shot.htm

http://www.orosha.org/pdf/hazards/2993-29.pdf

http://www.cmeig.com.au/documents/CMEIGPositionPaper-ChainShotPhenomenon.pdf
If you haven't had one break then you dont have a dummie using your saw that gets it pinched and wiggles it out sideways full force breaking the links then gives it back to you and dont say anything:cool:

Yeah my chain that is almost gone is a semi chisle so the leading edge is not what controls the width of the cut like a full chisle i have noticed that a worn down full chisle will make the narrow cut that leaves very lil clearance between the bar and cut if the weather is not too bad il post a full chisle and semi chisle cut clearance pic

I have seen links bent and twisted like that. Helped me learn about using wedges to prevent that, and a spinner and breaker to fix those.

Philbert
Twiggs are my helper even on stumps. Suck carrying wedges and when a log rolls on them they stay burried till the log is moved. I can loose a twig and not feel so bad cause there are many of them where im working

I'll try get some pictures of the current state of my worn chains today , stay tuned!
Luckily its not a big saw or this chain would be in the trash.
I retire my chains after three cutters have broke off. Never broke a chain.
Here they are!
They ARE on big saws - Dolmar PS6400 & Dolmar PS-7900 and I push them a bit further! ;)

My worn out chain , missing a couple teeth and a few are bent - this one is ripe for the recycle bin:
Chain1-worn out-1.JPG Chain1-worn out-2.JPG

My just worn chain No.1 & the rim sprocket it runs on since new , mainly used on my PS-6400 , 3 Yrs. old , no bent or broken teeth - look at the rivet heads , polished by wood from the narrowness of the chains kerf:
Chain2-worn-1.JPG Chain2-worn-3.JPG Chain2-worn-5.JPG

My just worn chain No.2 & its rim sprocket , age unknown as it is the chain that came with my PS-7900 when I bought it used last Year , no bent or broken teeth - again look at the rivet heads , polished by wood from the narrowness of the chains kerf.
NOTE: Just shy of the witness mark I hit and cut a bullet in half while bucking up a pear tree trunk - it survived and required just a good sharpening with a file (no grinder).
Also included chip and noodle samples from oak been cut with this chain just after I filed it back beyond the witness mark , that would be 2 or 3 touch ups prior to this chains current state:
Chain3-worn-1.JPG Chain3-worn-2.JPG Chain3-worn-3.JPG Chain3-chips and noodles.JPG

I hope You like my pictures , cheers :cheers:
W.

P.S.: Go ahead and criticize , we all have a right to our own opinions! :)

Nice chips! :)
I like how my worn chains cut beech and hornbeam , fresh of course.
The kerf doesn't end up being as narrow as when cutting (fresh) oak. o_O
Fresh cherry and pear is also nice to cut with a worn chain , unless there is a bullet in them. :p

They always cut better after they get sharpened then stock sharp
I don't put on new chains very often (lol) , but I did notice that when I grind my chains they don't cut as well as when I file them - thus I mostly lean toward filing causing my grinder to collect dust. ;)

Latest posts

Back