Chain around

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara L Cannon

Reaction score
Hi! We have a very tight chain around a tree (from a hammock). The bark still looks intact though (lot of pressure on it but not cut). We are worried about the chain whipping back at us if we cut it (it is under extreme tension). Any suggested strategies for removing it? Thank you.

Attachments

• 5DF68916-A641-46CB-B81D-9A0B605D462C.jpeg
    5DF68916-A641-46CB-B81D-9A0B605D462C.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 8EAD0510-EFFE-446B-9613-96BDE2DE17FA.jpeg
    8EAD0510-EFFE-446B-9613-96BDE2DE17FA.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 23
It isn't going to whip around - it is too far embedded into the tree on that one side. I'd cut the top of 1 link with bolt cutters or an angle grinder. That may (but probably not) weaken it enough that it pulls open if it is under excessive tension. When that doesn't loosen it enough, I'd probably go to another link and cut it at one end, then the other end of the same link.

Be careful to to pull off bark all the way to the inner bark (cambium) when removing the chain. If you are going to cause more damage to a small portion of the tree, It is best to let the tree "swallow" the chain for a few inches rather than damage the tree more. But it looks like that will probably come off it you are gentle with it.

It isn't going to whip around - it is too far embedded into the tree on that one side. I'd cut the top of 1 link with bolt cutters or an angle grinder. That may (but probably not) weaken it enough that it pulls open if it is under excessive tension. When that doesn't loosen it enough, I'd probably go to another link and cut it at one end, then the other end of the same link.

Be careful to to pull off bark all the way to the inner bark (cambium) when removing the chain. If you are going to cause more damage to a small portion of the tree, It is best to let the tree "swallow" the chain for a few inches rather than damage the tree more. But it looks like that will probably come off it you are gentle with it.

Thank you so much!

Chain will not rubber band on you, just cut it. Bolt cutters easiest. Some high test will have a tiny bit of spring, but yours is not high test (no marking on backs of links in the photo).
If all you have is a hack saw or angle grinder, and still have fears, just use an old coat hanger and wire across where you cut with a loop with just enough slack to get the saw on the chain.

Some years back we had a similar problem cut the chain in 4 places cutting out 4 complete links ensuring the chan was seperate pieces just been & looked & the tree is coping well pulling the ends of the chain apart

Latest posts

Back