chain brake left on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariaricardo

Reaction score
I let my grandson use my new Stihl chainsaw and he left the brake on when he started it. Now I can't get the cover back on. Did he wreck it? If so, how can I fix it?

Nothing wrong with starting the saw with the brake on. Did you take the cover off with the brake on? Pull back on the brake handle and put the cover on.
Jeff :)

Stihl actually recommends that you start the saw with the brake on.

The only issue would be if he were to have run it at WOT for some time with the brake on.

It happens to me all the time. Like Jeff said, just pull the handle back or push it forward, which ever way it will fit and go on. No biggie.

What cover are you having trouble trying to put back on? I had trouble a few times disengaging the brake on my ms250. Thought I would break the plastic pushing on it so hard. Took it in to get it checked out and the shop couldn't find anything wrong with it. Someone must have been a bit hungover when they assembled mine.

What cover are you having trouble trying to put back on? I had trouble a few times disengaging the brake on my ms250. Thought I would break the plastic pushing on it so hard. Took it in to get it checked out and the shop couldn't find anything wrong with it. Someone must have been a bit hungover when they assembled mine.

My Husky 51 is the same way. If the brake gets set with it off the saw I have to fasten it in the bench vise to unlock it. But to make up for that, it will set by almost just breathing on it.

Harry k

My Husky 51 is the same way. If the brake gets set with it off the saw I have to fasten it in the bench vise to unlock it. But to make up for that, it will set by almost just breathing on it.

That's one of the differences between a Husky and a STIHL. On most Husquvarna saws, the chain brake is part of the cover, so it is hard to remove or put back on with the brake in the 'On' or tripped position.

On most STIHL saws (all?) the brake handle and brake band are attached to the saw housing. It should not affect the side (aka 'clutch') cover, unless the handle is in the way or it was run so long that something plastic melted.

Philbert

I took the saw to the shop. The cover that I'm talking about is the one that is over the sprockets where the chain meets the motor. The thread in the cover was stripped. Another question is - does it hurt the saw if the motor is gunned with the brake on?

I took the saw to the shop. The cover that I'm talking about is the one that is over the sprockets where the chain meets the motor. The thread in the cover was stripped. Another question is - does it hurt the saw if the motor is gunned with the brake on?

What do you mean, gunned? WOT for awhile or a little piss? You do the math.
Jeff :)

The cover that I'm talking about is the one that is over the sprockets where the chain meets the motor. The thread in the cover was stripped.

A photo or two would be very helpful. I am not familiar with a STIHL saw that has a threaded cover - might be a newer model (?).

does it hurt the saw if the motor is gunned with the brake on?

Generally not a good idea. It causes a lot of friction/heat on the brake band and the spur sprocket or clutch drum (if they turn blue, they have been overheated). This heat can damage other components, especially the plastic housing, covers, oil pump drive gear, etc. You may see some melting or discoloration of these parts.

I always start a saw with the brake on, but release it before pressing the trigger. Sometimes people forget and try to run with the brake on for a second or so, but that should not cause significant damage.

Philbert

A photo or two would be very helpful. I am not familiar with a STIHL saw that has a threaded cover - might be a newer model (?).

Generally not a good idea. It causes a lot of friction/heat on the brake band and the spur sprocket or clutch drum (if they turn blue, they have been overheated). This heat can damage other components, especially the plastic housing, covers, oil pump drive gear, etc. You may see some melting or discoloration of these parts.

I always start a saw with the brake on, but release it before pressing the trigger. Sometimes people forget and try to run with the brake on for a second or so, but that should not cause significant damage.

Philbert

If you can run your saw with the chain brake on, you got no chain brake! Duh! Sorry, but, really,
Jeff :confused:

Is it one of the models with the quick chain adjuster? I'm assuming those thread on some way and don't use clutch cover nuts.

My chainsaw is a Stihl Mini Boss 14" easy start. Brand new. My grandson didn't know there was a brake and must have put the cover on wrong when he tried to discover why the chain wouldn't move. It was under warranty and was fixed in 5 minutes. I really like the easy start feature but I have to put the saw up high so the kids can't get at it.
You all have been very helpful. Thanks.

My grandson didn't know there was a brake and must have put the cover on wrong when he tried to discover why the chain wouldn't move.

Glad to hear you worked it out. Knowing there are kids around you may want to keep that brake on even if you do keep it up out of sight. Next thing you know they will be filling it with straight pump gas.

My chainsaw is a Stihl Mini Boss 14" easy start.

OK, now that makes sense. I had a mental block where I could only think of the conventional covers.

Philbert

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back