Chain brake? not working

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willis09r

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just bought a used Stihl 023 for $100 bucks. All is well but the
chain brake thingy whatever it is doesn't work. Any help greatly
appreciated...

There is a 'beg for manuals' thread in the Chainsaw forum. Just ask one of the kind folk there for a service manual for your saw. The manual will tell exactly how to service the chain brake.

This is an easy job once you have the manual in hand.

Lou Braun

:bang:
There is a 'beg for manuals' thread in the Chainsaw forum. Just ask one of the kind folk there for a service manual for your saw. The manual will tell exactly how to service the chain brake.

This is an easy job once you have the manual in hand.

Lou Braun

right on that would work but it is probbly just a broke spring

Thanks but if it's just a spring, will the lever still work, because
it clicks like it's working but the chain doesn't "brake."

thanks again

will
list
my
saws
here
later
once
i get
more
involved!

Thanks but if it's just a spring, will the lever still work, because
it clicks like it's working but the chain doesn't "brake."

Yes, the brake lever will move forward and spring back like it's working because it has a torsion spring at its pivot joint on the clutch side. The big spring is behind the bar cover, clutch, and next cover after that. You will find a kind of metal cam assembly with a detent for the sprung position (brake on) and the big honkin' spring, which might be broke. Or the brake band itself might be broken.

I was intimidated by this job until I tore into my 028 and found out it was easy. PES+ posted some good pictures and and info about this job for 028's and he might have the parts you need, too.

Thanks for the help. It was just a broken band, and like you
said i was intimidated by this job at first but it was very simple.

Back