Chain Breaker Adjustable Anvils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm having a terrible time breaking .325 Stihl chains. They are too narrow for my anvil, so the chain falls off one side of the anvil. Also, the anvil cavity isn't deep enough and the rivets are not completely pushed out. So, two part question:
Are the Stens adjustable anvils as good as the Oregon?
Is there enough depth to completely knock out a Stihl rivet?

stens.jpg

I use the adjustable one like in the picture. Seems to work fine, though I'm not real good making chains, I might only make 5 or 6 loops a month.

I grind the heads off on a bench grinder and wiggle the chain. Wasting a lot of time otherwise is silly, I have a punch and several different anvils, and haven't used them in 15 years.
I agree. Not gonna reuse the pieces. Hillbilly logic.

The one i use in my shop is real similar to the one pictured except it has a ditch for the cutter to fit down in so it isn't sitting cattywompas. I think it's an Oregon though. I could post pics Monday if needed

I think the Stens might have the ditch on the bottom of the picture. I seen it on the Oregon.

I got the Stens and I advise you don't do the same. I've broke a few chains and the edges are already gouging. The material is way too soft for an anvil. The concept and the way it works is great. I't much easier to maneuver the chain under the breaker verses my fixed anvil.

Back