chain come-alongs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEERE350c

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what weight capacity chain come-along/hoist should i get to help with keeping tension on the leaners ?

I don't think come alongs and winches are good, they don't take up slack well. Use a truck if possible.

Rebel is right in some cases. If you are pulling the leaner over directly backwards from its lean, come a longs, tirfors work fine. If you are pulling it sideways against the lean, a truck is needed to pull it quickly.

We pulled a big pine back about 10 degrees from vertical yesterday with the Griphoist (Tirfor). It was leaning over house. Cut a wide notch in front, then pulled a little, cut a little until we had COG away from the house. It broke over while we still had about 3 inches of hinge, fell nice and slow, gave everybody plenty of time to get out of the way.

We had the tie in point about 30 feet up, 75 feet of 5/8 stable braid and then the 100 feet of 7/16 cable for the Griphoist. Advantage of the Griphoist is that it pulls through as long a cable as you want to buy, as opposed to the 12 feet or so with the chain fall. Pulls 4000 lbs working load limit.

It aint cheap though. I've had mine for about 6 years now, and I think I paid about $750 for it.

Fireaxman said:
We pulled a big pine back about 10 degrees from vertical yesterday with the Griphoist (Tirfor). It was leaning over house. Cut a wide notch in front, then pulled a little, cut a little until we had COG away from the house. It broke over while we still had about 3 inches of hinge, fell nice and slow, gave everybody plenty of time to get out of the way.

We had the tie in point about 30 feet up, 75 feet of 5/8 stable braid and then the 100 feet of 7/16 cable for the Griphoist. Advantage of the Griphoist is that it pulls through as long a cable as you want to buy, as opposed to the 12 feet or so with the chain fall. Pulls 4000 lbs working load limit.

It aint cheap though. I've had mine for about 6 years now, and I think I paid about $750 for it.
Cool, I have one as well, they are the cats meow, puzzled about why everyone had to get out of the way with over 100' of rope/cable?

We had estimated the height with a CrossSight and a clinometer (same answer with both methods) and came up with an estimated target zone just 10 feet short of our anchor point. And, I've seen broken branches thrown a pretty good distance on a big top.

As it turned out the estimates were a little long. The top actually hit a good 35 feet from the anchor point. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Back