chain file size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey, new to posting but I have been lurking a while. I recently bought a used ms360. I went to my Stihl dealer to get some bits and pieces. I asked for a chain and a file with holder. My saw has an 18" bar and uses 3/8". The owner gets me a file and holder stamped for a .404" with a 7/32" file. I ask him if that is for that chain and he says he doesn't stock the ones for the
3/8" because all the pros use the size he gave me on 3/8" chain to cut something down on the chain. I say well that isn't gonna fit right and he says it will take a little longer the first time you use it on a 3/8" chain.
What file should I use? Are all those file holders the same in regards to how they hold the file?(I mean could I stick a 3/8 file in one marked for a .404?)

Assuming you have Stihl chain on the saw, you are correct, that Stihl lists a 13/64" file for their 3/8" chain. However he is also correct in that many use 7/32" files on Stihl 3/8" chain, as on other brands like Oregon. It works fine, although some say they can feel a noticeable difference with the 13/64" being slightly faster. The file guide is correct for the 7/32" file, as in order to hold it at the correct height, you need the guide for that file size. A 13/64" guide would not hold a 7/32" file at the correct height. It's your call on what size to use. The 7/32" can cut into the tie straps if you aren't careful. Your dealer really should carry the 13/64" files and guides, even if he doesn't sell many, it's not a big cost to carry a box of files and a guide in that size.

Thanks. I actually went to two dealers looking for that holder. Of course they can order it but I needed it this weekend. I used the .404 to sharpen the used Oregon chain that came on my saw.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I asked this dealer for a flat file to use on the depth gauge and he didn't have any. He said that when they sharpen chains they don't file them down as it causes kickback. I don't think I am crazy and I am still new to some of this but as you sharpen a chain eventually it the cutting depth decreases so the depth guage also eventually needs lowered right?

All I have ever used on 3/8 chain is 7/32, hundreds of 73 Oregon chains, many 7/32 files whung into the bush, but hey what do I know? Maybe I will try out some of these 13/64 files if I see 'em, 1/64 diff., wow that is a "C" hair. And a blonde one at that.

Oregon actually calls for 7/32" on their 3/8" chains. Stihl calls for 13/64". I use 7/32" on both. Works fine, cuts good.

ftm said:
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I asked this dealer for a flat file to use on the depth gauge and he didn't have any. He said that when they sharpen chains they don't file them down as it causes kickback. I don't think I am crazy and I am still new to some of this but as you sharpen a chain eventually it the cutting depth decreases so the depth guage also eventually needs lowered right?
Your dealer has to put down the glass pipe, he is definetly on crack. You are not crazy, you need a raker file. Depth on a 3/8 chain is about 25 thou, I lke a little more on skip.

clearance said:
Your dealer has to put down the glass pipe, he is definetly on crack. You are not crazy
Thanks for the clean bill of mental health, I was wondering what he was doing in that back room. He isn't my dealer yet, I was just doing some reconasaince. I have two more to check out.

Filers who know what they are doing can use almost any size file in a pinch, but the preference of most accomplished filers is 13/64 although 7/32" does a better job on the gullets.
Rick

I've been using 7/32 on my Sthil's 3/8, it does nick the ties though as someone mentioned when it is new (mind you I do eyeball the 10+- degrees), but it seems to cut fine, I haven't really noticed a difference but then again, I am not really fussy as long as it is sharp and does its job I am happy person.
:)

HELSEL said:
Filers who know what they are doing can use almost any size file in a pinch, but the preference of most accomplished filers is 13/64 although 7/32" does a better job on the gullets.
Rick
I disagree Rick. In my experience, the only ones around here who buy the 13/64" files are the ones who go to the Stihl dealer and buy what they are told to buy. Everyone I know with any substantial experience at all buys the 7/32" files for all 3/8" chain, regardless of manufacturer.

skwerl said:
I disagree Rick. In my experience, the only ones around here who buy the 13/64" files are the ones who go to the Stihl dealer and buy what they are told to buy. Everyone I know with any substantial experience at all buys the 7/32" files for all 3/8" chain, regardless of manufacturer.

I will just agree with you,Because you are the pro!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

skwerl said:
... the only ones around here who buy the 13/64" files are the ones who go to the Stihl dealer and buy what they are told to buy. ....
Over here, what I experienced was about the opposite - I visited quite a few (at least ten) Stihl dealers over a wide area. Most of them did not know that 13/64" files even existed, and none of them had it in stock.
They sold the 7/32 for the 3/8" Stihl chains.

Smart dealers, you probably would say, if it wasn't for the fact that they were ignorant that Stihl actually recommends 13/64"......

I lack your substatial experience, and the jury is still out.
I don't think it makes much difference most of the time, but for the first filing on new RS chain, the 13/64" files does make it easier.

HELSEL said:
:clap:
What is the difference between an accomplished filer, and one with substansial experience?????:confused:
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :angel:

heck mabe its raining everywhere like it is here. we got to do something.
so we ll argue about 1/64 th inch, if we want to.i absolutely know it makes a huge difference. but i ll keep my secrete as to which is really the best.
me being a pro an all:jester:

SawTroll said:
No arguing here, just a friendly discussion.:)
That would be nice if Rocky would show us all a before and after video of filing first with a 13/64 and then a 7/32" file. I bet there would be a humungous difference in the time between the two files.:clap:

:cheers:

John

SawTroll said:
Over here, what I experienced was about the opposite - I visited quite a few (at least ten) Stihl dealers over a wide area. Most of them did not know that 13/64" files even existed, and none of them had it in stock.
They sold the 7/32 for the 3/8" Stihl chains.

Over here (up here for some) the dealer would have to be blind not to know - it's stamped on everything including the prepackaged chain boxes.

We sell whatever the customer wants. Most don't care which file they get (between 7/32 and 13/64). We use which ever one we grab.,..

Stihl tells us the reason they changed was because the filing of the last portion of the cutter with 7/32 could cut into the tie strap. IMHO, the filer has much more to do with this than the file... Lawyers most likely made them change..

Latest posts

Back