chain filing with round or flat sided file?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woojr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just read the thread on 3/8 chain file sizes. So how about Stihl chisel chain that's "supposed" to be sharpened with a flat sided file? I just got one and haven't located a file yet. Seams local dealers don't have much call for that.. plus they're gettin ready for spring stuff now. Any thoughts out there?
Should I just use the round file? If I do will I lose something that the design demands from the flat sided file? Any suggestions where to look online? woojr

Assuming you mean a square ground chain that needs a chisel bit file, you have two choices. You can wait until you get the chisel bit file to keep it square filed, or you can simply round file it. The tooth of round filed/ground chisel, and square ground/filed chisel is identical, except for the grind style. Its up to you as to which to do.

Ya' really, round filing's much more forgiving. Holds an edge well in dry or dirty wood. Square filing's preferred for pro's in green, clean timber. I'll agree with this!

...and.. round filing is one heck of a lot easier... It very difficult to accurately file a square cut chain by hand... out here, we always grind them round at the first sharpen. A couple of the pros hand sharpen the square chain, but most of them don't.

Lakeside53 said:
...and.. round filing is one heck of a lot easier... It very difficult to accurately file a square cut chain by hand... out here, we always grind them round at the first sharpen. A couple of the pros hand sharpen the square chain, but most of them don't.

"Out Here" Us pro's DON'T grind them round at the first sharpen. Majority of the PRO's stick with square ground and hand file to keep square chain. YES, majority. Of course, if you're NOT from around here you might not know this.

You can get chisel files from Bailey's or Madsens. Correct square filing is an art, and I am an amateur at best. The Oregon chain manual which is available at their site in PDF form tells you teh correct method. I used the 3 corner chisel file and I think the grind was OK, but I still side beaked teh chain a little bit, which means it'll cut great but won't hold an edge as well as it should. If you top beak them they won't cut worth a flip at all. Square chisel, ground or properly filed cuts about 10% faster than round chisel. Anybody can round file saw chain, no problem.

jp hallman said:
"Out Here" Us pro's DON'T grind them round at the first sharpen. Majority of the PRO's stick with square ground and hand file to keep square chain. YES, majority. Of course, if you're NOT from around here you might not know this.

I don't confuse your "out here" with my "out here"... :) Around "here" way way north of you, it's the opposite. Next time I'll just say "around here"...

We do sell quite a few triangle edged files, but rarely to repeat customers :)

jp hallman said:
I'm sorry...Didn't recognize the Washington State flag and the "pecker wood" state bird symbol. My mistake!

an honest and easy mistake!!

Actually, I'm glad to see you are in an area where you've all figured out how to do it... seems such a pity to grind a nice quare chain to round at the first blunting.

Yes, thank you. Come on down and we'll teach you what's been going on in the Pacific Northwest Piney woods since square chain was first put to the stump.
Ever wonder WHY square chain is preferred over round ground? Sounds like burger making time!

So, if I am reading this group right, here's what I get.. square ground is faster cutting when sharpened correctly but that is not as easy as it sounds. That the cutters are the same except which way they are inititially ground.
I have done allot of filing and have a habit of doing it whenever the chain is not near perfect. I found out a long time ago that trying to cut with a less than very sharp tool (whatever it is) generally creates more work and less product and more damage and waste. Always allot easier to keep cutters uniform when not removing much material. Easier to keep the file in the right location as well.
And, you guys on the other coast get at it quick... must be nice to have so much energy (youth?). Thanks to all, gonna order some and try it.
One other opinion question. Who makes the overall best file? I just got some, I think they are Maddog? Imported from? Haven't looked at the box that closely but they are the 13/64 and cut real nice the first couple uses. Haven't used them long enough to say about durability. Woojr

Lakeside53 said:
an honest and easy mistake!!

Actually, I'm glad to see you are in an area where you've all figured out how to do it... seems such a pity to grind a nice quare chain to round at the first blunting.

Way OT here but I just _gotta_ ask. Are you working on getting an avatar showing the new WA state tourist bureau motto? No, this is no joke. The state paid a firm that comes up with mottos to replace the old one (I don't recall what that is). The new one?

SayWA

My reply to that is Say HUH? What were they thinking? The columnists are going nuts poking sticks at them for that idiocy.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
Way OT here but I just _gotta_ ask. Are you working on getting an avatar showing the new WA state tourist bureau motto? No, this is no joke. The state paid a firm that comes up with mottos to replace the old one (I don't recall what that is). The new one?

SayWA

My reply to that is Say HUH? What were they thinking? The columnists are going nuts poking sticks at them for that idiocy.

Harry K

yeah, stupid motto... and getting beat up in the press here also, but... if it raises controversy, then WA gets attention. You'll not forget the new "motto", but like you, what the hell was the old one???

woojr said:
So, if I am reading this group right, here's what I get.. square ground is faster cutting when sharpened correctly but that is not as easy as it sounds. That the cutters are the same except which way they are inititially ground.

Yes, good summary...

As for files, we just use the Pferd (cheaper) and those from Stihl (more expensive). I can't tell a lot of differnence bwteen those two. Stihl files are imported from Switzerland - not sure who makes them for Stihl.

I may have just ruined a perfectly good chain, but I filed a Stihl 33 RS square, reasoning since it is the same cutter, only teh grind is differenta nd people go from square to round all the time, why not go from round to square? Any thoughts? Yes square filing is harder, but I am determined to become good at it.
J.D.

Latest posts

Back