Chain filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hamradio

hamradio

ArboristSite Operative
Hi,
I plan to mill with my old Homelite Super Wiz 66. But, I've read that chisel chain is nearly impossible to find in .5. I have a pretty new (lots of cutter left) full comp chipper chain on it, with a 24" bar. How would I go about filing the chain to make it cut faster for milling?

aggiewoodbutchr

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
hamradio said:
Hi,
I plan to mill with my old Homelite Super Wiz 66. But, I've read that chisel chain is nearly impossible to find in .5. I have a pretty new (lots of cutter left) full comp chipper chain on it, with a 24" bar. How would I go about filing the chain to make it cut faster for milling?

Well, first off, chipper or micro-chisel chain is generally considered better for ripping chain because it stays sharp longer and leaves a smoother finish on your boards. To convert a standard chain to a ripping chain you need to file the top plate angle back to between 0 and 10 degrees as opposed to the 30 deg+- of cross cutting chain. However, considering the rarity of your chain, I would recommend filing it back a little at a time (see pic). Also, set the top plate cutting angle to 50-55 deg and take the rakers down to .030". These modifications may or may not make your cuts any faster but they will reduce vibration and improve cut quailty.

attachment.php

*disclaimer* This is what I use for .404 and 3/8" chain with success, but I've never laid hands on .5".

Last edited:

Latest posts