chain for 55 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okfirefghter

Reaction score
I received my 55 rancher w/ an 18 inch bar from alamia about 10 days ago and so far I absolutely love this saw. I want to purchase a couple extra chains for those long days in the field. The saw came outfitted with a 72LG chain. Is this a good chain to go with or is there a better one out there that all you chainsawing wizards recommend? thanx in advance!!

havent ried the stihl chain, which i hear is very good but i love the oregon lp that i have - my 372xp runs har and the lp more than mokes enough work for it. just last weekend cut down 5 20-30" red oaks and this chain is still sharp enough to cut me - no kidding - i'm wrapped with paper towel right now, and we chopped these trees to 18" lengths - lp is a good chain and i will try to see if i can use it for my 136.

btw. rancher is a really good saw for the money

Sonny, you could probably tell me this--what is the relationship between Stihl chain lengths and Oregon/Husky ones? What I am asking is if you have a 20" husky bar dont you need to get a 22" Stihl chain to fit it? Is it the same for all of stihls bar sizes?

chain

You need to go by the drivelink count on any chain and not
the length of the bar, as well as making sure you have the
correct gauge.
Fish

Fish is corect. Its the drive links. Standard 16 in bar husky 56 links
stihl 55 links. But then it gets confusing . On types of bars.narrow tip, wide & hard tip.1 less or 1 more link. then you can get into 7 or 8 tooth sprockets. Its a night mare sometimes.1 example: Customer comes in & asks for a new chain, without saw or bar.
He has no idea what size.

i hear ya there. that is why when i take the bar off a saw for the winter i hang the chain right up in front of the bar so i don't get confused in the spring. i also have a note book that i write down all of the saws bars and link count incase i knock them off the nail. or if my cat does. but organization is the key to the game. specially when you have mroe than 3 saws.

Back