chain for dirty wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a Tempest unit mounted on a 372xp. They like this saw the best because they find it has the best air filter system. It keeps running in the dirtiest conditions.
I slid the depth guage back to cut an 8" aspen and yes it was slow after the beating I gave it. The guage is easily removed if necessary
Here is the link www.tempest-edge.com

$262.00 (plus shipping) for 20" bar Stihl 044...I think I'll keep on sharpening my regular chains. :D

Nice to know they are available though.

Had finger trouble or maybe a senior moment. It was .404 .063 not 3/8 and they use the heavy chain's momentum to slam through the rough stuff. He told me to enter and exit the cut at full throttle to keep the chain from stalling. It was an experience.

We've got our best responses from folks cutting dirty wood with our injecta sharp chain. It keeps its edge 2-3 times longer than a conventional semi-chisel chain. There isn't a good picture but, it has a sandy type carbide grit coated on the outside of the tooth. The best thing about it is that you can sharpen it with a regular file or grinding wheel. The .375 X .050 sells for $0.35 per drive link.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
The injecta sharp sounds like the carbide-coated chain I get from Laser in PA. I have used it in 3/8LP and 3/8 Semi-chisel. I use it to cut out stumps below ground level. It takes a lot of punishment before dulling, and it is as easy to sharpen as regular chain. Carbide chain when new is not really sharp like a chrome-plated chain that has been properly sharpened. The carbide is too brittle to bring out to any degree of hook on the edge

I have wondered about carbide myself in the past, I thought to expensive, and I have heard it cuts youre chain speed down consideribly. My preference is Stihl chain, I run full skip chisel, because I like the speed at which it cuts, being a chisel, I know it wont stay sharp as long as a semi chisel but I can file it pretty fast if I get into dirty stuff. I even run a full skip on my 20" 51 huskie saw shop guy loked at me funny one day, but with that little saw it does help the power over a full comp, and I hate to file all the extra teeth. I seem to get more chain life out of Stihl chain I also seem to be able to file it a little easier.

Latest posts

Back