Chain Gauge Preferemce for 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundup

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I have a question and some celebrating to do.

I ordered a new 261, should be here Wednesday. That's the celebrating

The question is I can get it setup with .050 or .063, which should I get and why? I am a little confused why they offer it both ways.

I think I am going to get it setup with .063 because I have a 291 that already has that setup, so chains and bars are interchangeable.

Are you sure this isn't really between 3/8" .050 vs. .325 .063?

Ah checked the chain and bar guide and it is betweent the two you mentioned. For some reason I thought you could get .325 in either .050 or .063, but on second look it does not appear that way.

Since we are on the topic, why can't they make .325 pitch in .050 gauge? Seems like it would have less friction and more power for the small saws.

Ah checked the chain and bar guide and it is betweent the two you mentioned. For some reason I thought you could get .325 in either .050 or .063, but on second look it does not appear that way.

Since we are on the topic, why can't they make .325 pitch in .050 gauge? Seems like it would have less friction and more power for the small saws.

Stihl makes the chain for .325 .050 (23RS, 23RM etc), but for some odd reason they don't make bars for it - I don't think anyone really know the reason, it just is established practise.

So I have a question and some celebrating to do.

I ordered a new 261, should be here Wednesday. That's the celebrating

The question is I can get it setup with .050 or .063, which should I get and why? I am a little confused why they offer it both ways.

I think I am going to get it setup with .063 because I have a 291 that already has that setup, so chains and bars are interchangeable.

Go .063 for the practical reasons

Try finding a bar to fit a Stihl(12mm) slot in .50 gauge running .325 pitch chain.
I have looked. Hard nose bars only.

I found a reel of .325/.50 round chisel chain at an auction.
I am almost at the point of ordering a bar and machining it to fit our 026. 20 minutes max.
25 ft of chain($20)=a whole lot of running time on the 026. (BTW/026 has the rim sprocket.)

Best wishes.

Try finding a bar to fit a Stihl(12mm) slot in .50 gauge running .325 pitch chain.
I have looked. Hard nose bars only.

I found a reel of .325/.50 round chisel chain at an auction.
I am almost at the point of ordering a bar and machining it to fit our 026. 20 minutes max.
25 ft of chain($20)=a whole lot of running time on the 026. (BTW/026 has the rim sprocket.)

Best wishes.

I bought a couple of large mount husky bars at clearout prices from Baileys for $4 each and had em milled to fit 3003. Worked like a charm. Go for it.

Latest posts

Back