Chain grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MCW, your post # 10 is right on. My MAXX was a bit of a disapointment in that I saw the same things you saw. Very sloppy and flexed a lot. It took a lot of set up to get things to work right for right and left cutters. I still have mine but I can do just as well by hand. I only use the MAXX when I accidently dig trenches.

Later,

MCW, your post # 10 is right on. My MAXX was a bit of a disapointment in that I saw the same things you saw. Very sloppy and flexed a lot. It took a lot of set up to get things to work right for right and left cutters. I still have mine but I can do just as well by hand. I only use the MAXX when I accidently dig trenches.

Later,

I almost bought a MAXX from Baileys, reading this I am glad I stuck with Oregon. The perplexing thing is the MAXX reviews on web sites seem to be good.

I have seen the 511AX at the local hardware for $330, after reading this thread it seems like a good deal.

Later,

I gave up with mine when and as I mentioned I sold it. It was nowhere near the Speed Sharp for consistency. Every time I swapped the head over to grind into the cutters etc I had to reset absolutely every setting. A well designed and built symmetrical head setup should not do this.

I almost bought a MAXX from Baileys, reading this I am glad I stuck with Oregon. The perplexing thing is the MAXX reviews on web sites seem to be good.

Those same reviews made me purchase a MAXX! There is probably a good chance that the same guys raving about the MAXX have never had another decent grinder to compare it with. The MAXX is a brilliant idea let down by poor quality and poor fitting components - especially in the areas where they are most important.

Matt, is that Speed Sharp grinder you are talking of pt. # 1150903 or the 1150922 in the JakMax catalogue ?

Not sure mate. Does the catalogue show pictures? Its the only hydraulic auto vice lock they make as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
grinders

Give Global Forestry Supply a try at 888-900-7292, they have both Oregon models for under $400, ask for Shawn

Man, wish I'd read all this about the Maxx before plopping down significanct, to me, bucks for one a few months back. Could have saved me some equally significant regret.

Ok, I'll get real. I like mine, works great, no complaints, glad I bought it. Geeez.

Great!! :cheers:

I am thinking they should be good, lots of good reviews on various locations.
I purchased Oregon mostly because I knew the product. Hopefully the MAXX is about the same quality, as it demands around the same price.

This link was posted in another grinder thread, comparing the China knock off (Northern Tool, etc.) grinders, with the Italian (Tecomec, Oregon, Speed Sharp, etc.) grinders, listing some of the things you can't see.

The less expensive grinders might still be a good choice for some users, as long as they know what the trade offs are.

Courtesy of site sponsor Bailey's, who sells one of each.

http://www.baileysonline.com/PDF/grinder_comparison.pdf

Philbert

This link was posted in another grinder thread, comparing the China knock off (Northern Tool, etc.) grinders, with the Italian (Tecomec, Oregon, Speed Sharp, etc.) grinders, listing some of the things you can't see.

The less expensive grinders might still be a good choice for some users, as long as they know what the trade offs are.

Courtesy of site sponsor Bailey's, who sells one of each.

http://www.baileysonline.com/PDF/grinder_comparison.pdf

Philbert

Interesting and thanks.

Man, wish I'd read all this about the Maxx before plopping down significanct, to me, bucks for one a few months back. Could have saved me some equally significant regret.

Ok, I'll get real. I like mine, works great, no complaints, glad I bought it. Geeez.

Maybe you got a good one? I'm sure they're out there :)

If anyone from Wisconsin or nearby with a Mills Farm and Fleet, the Oregon 511AX is on sale for $279.99, it's a $50 savings.

I called Bailey's and orderd the Speed sharp star. The guy on the phone told me that he has used it in the shop and that it was as good as the oregon 511a and I would be pleased with it. Anyone got the speed sharp star to back up what he told me? I hope it's good. (that 350.00 + tax could have funded another small or used saw!)

are you sure about that? they are $399 at Bailey's, who sells as cheaply as most places on just about everything. i don't see any grinders on F&F's website.

I wrote the wrong store, it's Blaine's Farm & Fleet in Onalaska WI, they had two left on the shelf as of Tuesday afternoon. I couldn't resist and picked one up and made sure the cash register rang it up at $279.99 along with Husky bar oil for $8.79 a gallon. I don't have anything to compare it to but so far I like it.

Last edited:
Back