Chain keeps stretching really quickly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericfx1984

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Chinese chainsaw, 62cc with a 20-in bar.. I have a sthil chain as well as the original Chinese chain

I've probably between these two chains and several several chain sharpenings, processed about 12 chords of firewood over the last 2 years

The song has always been really easy to start and not giving me any issues until recently seems like within a couple minutes the chain goes from being properly tensioned to having so much slack that it's bordering on derailing

At first I assumed that it wasn't oiling properly so I cleaned out all the oil passages with air and that didn't seem to help so I went ahead and replaced the oil pump.. it seems to be working and spitting oil all that being said I was out of bar oil so I decided to use an excess of 60 weight motorcycle oil that I have and maybe that's the problem..? Previously I've always used some type of actual bar oil

Are you sure the bar nuts are holding the bar tight? Maybe set the tension and make a mark on the bar where it meets the saw and watch for movement. Do you raise the tip of the bar when tightening the nuts? Is the chain hot when you notice the stretch?
Is the sprocket worn, letting the chain slip down into the worn area? Post a picture of the sprocket if you can.

Sprocket is fine, Chain is very dull. Are you properly tensioning the chain? Many folks even people who have been using saws for years have never been shown the proper way to tension a chain.

I will link a BBR video on how to tension a saw chain, whether you like him or not I don't care, his method of tensioning chain is absolutely correct!!

I usually tension it to the point where I can pull just a little bit of slack on it but when I let go of it it snaps back up into the bar

Sprocket is fine, Chain is very dull. Are you properly tensioning the chain? Many folks even people who have been using saws for years have never been shown the proper way to tension a chain.

I will link a BBR video on how to tension a saw chain, whether you like him or not I don't care, his method of tensioning chain is absolutely correct!!

Face palm ! i was a saw flipper on my stihls. my huskie was frustrating me, trying to flip the saw, on its back and make it submit. i thought the tensioner screw was just a tad to clean and slipped to easilly. i'll try this today

To be curious, what are you using to sharpen the chain? It looks like a different file pattern on each.

Did you fix this? Needed all three replaced with Stihl branded parts; rim, bar, and chain. Then tell us how it cuts....

Back