Chain: Loops or reel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCatBone

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Happy Easter AS Brothers!

I am undecided on taking the plunge on a chain breaker/spinner, and going to reels. Cost is about $100 for the tools from Bailey's. Help me decide if it's worth it.

Some points of consideration:
1. No good Oregon chain dealer in town
2. I use 3 saws almost equally: 346, 357, and 390, 16 to 36" bars
3. An AWESOME Stihl dealer that has most chains I use for 3/$45, except the .325 chains I use for the 346 and the very long chains for the 390.
4. Can't spin Stihl chains, no tie straps etc.
5. I like LGX a lot, almost as much as RSC.
6. I have a grinder.

What's a guy to do? I am leaning towards just doing it since I have so many bar lengths to equip.

I am in the same boat. I just got three chains from my dealer, a 20", a 28", and a 36". It cost me $100. That made me lean way over to buying bulk and making my own.

I am in the same boat. I just got three chains from my dealer, a 20", a 28", and a 36". It cost me $100. That made me lean way over to buying bulk and making my own.

Ouch. What got me thinking was when I got my 346 and had to start using some .325 too. I know you don't have to, but I think the saw likes it better.

The long chains really kill too.

I'm planning on doing the same over the Summer. I have 6 saws and various length bars and keeping chains on all of them is a costly venture. I want to start making my own.

Go over to your Stihl dealer and buy a 100' roll of RSC in 3/8" in what ever ga. you use. Ask the dealer to make up the chains as you need. You can also buy that RSC chain in .325 for that 346 of yours.

I've had two loops of rsc myself, and one at work, and im just not into all the hype of stihl chain. It seems softer than anything else i've used besides windsor, and it was old as the hills, so i dunno about it now. And all three loops i filed were from recently, except one which is several years old, so it isn't a bad batch i wouldn't think. I ordered a woodland pro loop and was pretty impressed. I wish i would have tried full comp so it would be a direct comparison. Im still an orergon fan i guess.

I did it because of the price of longer chains. Over 40$ fore a 28'' chain at my local dealers the first real of chain payed fore the braker.

Go over to your Stihl dealer and buy a 100' roll of RSC in 3/8" in what ever ga. you use. Ask the dealer to make up the chains as you need. You can also buy that RSC chain in .325 for that 346 of yours.

I wonder if they'd sell me tie straps etc.? I use .058 for the 346 and all the .325 stuff they stock is .063 for the smaller stihls I guess.

So far, I quite like the 21lp Oregon .325 chain.

:agree2:
I get loops made up from a UK seller on ebay called Kwikchip - a really sound guy, Stihl dealer, and no part is too small for him to get. I just add to my order until it's a reasonable amount, then he sends it out.
He's an arborist, so he knows what I need, and "kindly suggests" what I may need soon - which always turns out to be true. I buy RSC and Picco by the loop, and he always sorts me out with what I require - normally next day delivery. Good fella!

I did it because of the price of longer chains. Over 40$ fore a 28'' chain at my local dealers the first real of chain payed fore the braker.

That is kind of what I'm running into. The stuff I need to buy oregon chain for, I have to order and even at Bailey's reasonable prices, with shipping, the cost and wait is no good.

Im getting into spinning my own. I have a Herr breaker and spinner. I like Stihl chain best. But, I use Carlton sometimes and like it as well. Im thinking about buying Carlton reel chain.

Im getting into spinning my own. I have a Herr breaker and spinner. I like Stihl chain best. But, I use Carlton sometimes and like it as well. Im thinking about buying Carlton reel chain.

Thanks Bowtie. I hear a lot of differing opinions on Carlton chain. I have only used Stihl and Oregon LGX/LP. I guess I like Stihl a bit better, but really either cuts wood like crazy.

Latest posts

Back