Chain marking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My eyes are getting worse all the time. When filing I used to use a black magic marker to mark the tooth I start on. Yesterday I found that by the time it comes back around I can't spot it anymore. Thought of using a paint dot but a spray can would make a mess. Thought of model paint with a dauber - didn't have any. AHA! Raided wife's fingernail polish. Figured it will either wear off rapidly or if not, I can just start from that same tooth next time.

Anyone see any problems with using it or have other methods of marking the teeth?

Harry K

I wouldn't think nail polish would have any ill effects. If you have any concern whiteout would scratch off with a fingernail, and they have those nice white out pens, if I had bad eyes thats probably what I'd use.

Perfect! I use to wrap my first tooth with a teeny piece of brass jewlery wire, easy to see and feel and just falls off iffin you forget it, now my chain has a double tooth on one side (just the way it worked out lol) so no probs.

Maybe im blind here..... But if you cant tell a sharp tooth from a dull tooth as in where you start and stop how do you tell if you actually have the tooth sharp?? Do you just go through the motions?? and not actually get it sharp??

Scott

Even if your vision isn't failing... (I've made it ot 52, and I'm not getting glasses for .... well, at least a few more months!) try these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BINOCULAR-LOUPE...ryZ31472QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are decent quality Binouclar loupes like the Surgeon or Dentist uses, but not at surgical prices... The focal distance is about 14-17 inches which makes for a nice holding distance. I use them for carbs, checking chains and a host of other Chainsaw work.

cuttinscott said:
Maybe im blind here..... But if you cant tell a sharp tooth from a dull tooth as in where you start and stop how do you tell if you actually have the tooth sharp?? Do you just go through the motions?? and not actually get it sharp??

Scott

Some of us have dull chains that are sharper than others Race chain. You have to be able to see it.

Fred

cuttinscott said:

Scott
LOL, well if you wait till the chain is rocked or butter-cutting dull. Don't know anyone who hasn't done a touch-up and not gone over a tooth or two in a filing frenzy ;) My eyes are going slowly south and I don't like using my flesh to find out if a tooth is 'razor' sharp or 'kitchen knife' sharp.

cuttinscott said:

Scott
Too funny!
Actually some filers are making it dull as they file. So it's important to know which ones are your dullest sharp ones as opposed to your sharpest dull ones.
Just like your cleanest dirty shirt.
All kidding aside you can buy cheap glasses that magnify if your far sighted.
Blindness comes from pulling your chain too much I heard.:blob2:
John

I keep a tube of cheap red lipstick on my bench, comes in handy for a lot of things. I suppose it would work for your purpose. It looks really good when i put on my chrotchless panties, spike heels and french maid outfit come Sat. night too.

I used a yellow paint marker. These can be found at Lowes, home depot, etc. They are about 2 bucks and stick to metal, grease, rust, etc. I use them for marking old car parts (starters, engines, trans, etc) They work great. They have other colors too, red, green, blue, etc. Good luck

Steve

cuttinscott said:

Scott
On a quick touch up I sure like having a quick visual reference as to where I started saves time and kinda lets me see "the light at the end of the tunnel" so to speak, with 50+ cutters on some of my longer bars it makes the job seem not quite so endless.
I don't think i've ever had a Sharpie Marker out in the woods before but it's definitly handy for making loops, nothing worse than counting out 100+ DL and then loosing your mark and having to recount for fear of breaking it one link too short.

I've seen a few Stihl chains that had bright green presets which was a handy reference, wish more chains had that.

I mark chain's that way too. I use either a red or bright blue marker.
File/grind the first one, then mark it!
Makes it easy to know where ya started.
I also know that I have a fresh chain in the bag when I spot the marked tooth.
-pat

I just count them as I am filing, and inspect the "next" one when the count tells me i am finished with that side of the chain.

On chain with an odd number of cutters it is best to start where there are two cutter in row to be filed from one side.

cuttinscott said:

Scott

I file long before the tooth becomes obviously dull. As for telling when it is sharp, I have to do it mostly by feel any more - if the point feels sharp it is. I can also still sight down the bar with light behind me. Any dull tooth will show a dot of light at the point.

Harry K

Lakeside53 said:
Even if your vision isn't failing... (I've made it ot 52, and I'm not getting glasses for .... well, at least a few more months!) try these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BINOCULAR-LOUPE...ryZ31472QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are decent quality Binouclar loupes like the Surgeon or Dentist uses, but not at surgical prices... The focal distance is about 14-17 inches which makes for a nice holding distance. I use them for carbs, checking chains and a host of other Chainsaw work.

Now that is something I hadn't considered. Did think about the big manifying lens with built in light but that positions it above the tooth, not to the side where it is needed. I will be shopping for the loupe.

Harry K

For me, until a year or so ago it was never an issue. It should be obvious when you get to the first sharpened tooth. Even on a new chain, as I always put my edge on a new chain before use. And it's a valid point that if you can't tell where you started, how can you tell that any tooth is right?

Now, with the eyes not quite being what they were I do need more light for close up work. But I've also got into the habit of marking the first tooth with a wide, Red Sharpie I think as much to delay my oft-thought question of, "Durn, when am I going to get to the end of this 32" chain!".. you can see it coming sooner.

But marking a tooth does have a down side more than time taken to make the mark.... it always causes that tooth to hang some in the cut... but it wears off in no time!

mike385 said:
hi.
I just take one lick of a file across the tie strap where I start and that seems to work.
mike

I have done that in a pinch but worry about weakening it.

Of course, if you buy the Stihl chain, one drive link is already painted yellow for you, use that.

Somebody had to say it! :laugh:

Back