chain movement does not throtle down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackops

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i realize that this was probably asked a number of times but what causes the chain to not throttle down? chains keeps running at a decent speed and does not idel back down. years ago the dealer had to replace a little plastci piece on the inside of the cover. not sure what it was. Tthe new dealer is a real jerk and won;t answer questions or give any advice so that i can tweak it myself or fix it quickly instead of leaving it the shop for 3-4 weeks or so for a few minutes fix/tweak. the old owner would have showed you and explained it. the new young guy is simply a freaking jerk. my newer saw started it after cutting for an hour or more. thank you in advacne. also - i never really mess with the settings - but i do service and sharpen and shange bar/chains/ etc.

They can be seperate symptoms but here is your answer.

If the saws RPM isn’t returning to spec it’s either

1). Lean on the low speed circuit (air leak or not enough fuel)

2). The butterfly isn’t closed enough (LA screw is too far in or linkage stuck )

If the chain isn’t stopping at idle it’s either

1). Weak (worn) clutch springs

2). Idle bearing needing grease or is seized / broken.

Is the engine speed at idle or is it running faster?
How many times in the hour of cutting did the chain stop in the cut and you BAAAAWWWW BAAAWWWW tried to keep running it?

As annoying as it is, he doesn’t have to tell you, instead he just has to offer to fix it, which sucks having to wait 3-4 weeks, but you’ve got no other choice. I wouldn’t recommend taking it to a different dealer either. Taking a saw to a dealer you didn’t buy it from, but want it fixed never goes down well. It will get out to the very back of the queue and probably left there longer than their own customers.

Unless you have a tachometer or you know how to tune the saw, you’ll do more damage than good.

So, to sum up thus far- the saw is only a month old- but the old dealer replaced some plastic dodickie under a cover somewhere years ago?
You do not know what is wrong, do not tinker with carb setting, but sharpen chains/swap bars, so do not know if the saw has a massive air leak, something is gummed up or something is broken.
One thing is for sure- if you do start tinkering and pulling bits apart, or replacing stuff that is not broken- any warranty is out the window- regardless of some young whipper snapper having taken over the dealership.

I do not care much if the saw is a month old or years old. If you are out of your depth- you take the saw to someone who knows what they are doing.
Or, fill the tank up and keep running the sucker until the piston burns out.

So, to sum up thus far- the saw is only a month old- but the old dealer replaced some plastic dodickie under a cover somewhere years ago?
You do not know what is wrong, do not tinker with carb setting, but sharpen chains/swap bars, so do not know if the saw has a massive air leak, something is gummed up or something is broken.
One thing is for sure- if you do start tinkering and pulling bits apart, or replacing stuff that is not broken- any warranty is out the window- regardless of some young whipper snapper having taken over the dealership.

I do not care much if the saw is a month old or years old. If you are out of your depth- you take the saw to someone who knows what they are doing.
Or, fill the tank up and keep running the sucker until the piston burns out.
+1. Or send of to Austrailia to have the carb tuned.

Back