New Stihl battery top handle question..?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haironyourchest

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Guys, I bought the battery powered msa160t (henceforth shortened to 160) and it's ok for light work. Shortly after I bought it, Stihl released the updated model, the msa161t ( 161 ). The promotional material claims an "upgraded motor" with 15% more power and 40% higher chain speed. There is very little hard info online about either saw, almost like Stihl doesn't want people to know....I have found an image of the drive sprocket for the newer 161 - its a 9 spur. The sprocket on my 160 is a 6 or 7, I forget witch. So the larger sprocket would account for the higher chain speed.

My question is this: is the motor in the newer saw (161) actually a different motor, or is the motor in the older saw (160) artificially throttled down? What are the chances that Stihl has simply tweaked the chip to let the same motor suck more amps out of the batteries, and are calling it a "new improved" motor?

If they motor has been tweaked, I'm hoping I can tweak mine to "upgrade" it at no major cost. Slap on a bigger sprocket and I will then have a 161.

The part number for the older motor in the 160 is
Stihl Electric motor - 1252 600 0200

and I cannot find a part number for the motor in the 161. This makes me suspicious. Very suspicious. Outwardly the saws look the same, as far as I can tell. I cannot believe that Stihl would reengineer a whole new case to accommodate a different motor, with a small increase in output, for a niche saw like this, which accounts for a tiny fraction of their sales. Coupled with the internet blackout on parts diagrams, part numbers, images of the internals, absence of youtube tear-downs etc. I'm more and more sure they're pulling a fast one. Sell the throttled model for a few years, then un-throttle it and sell it again as a new model.

Can anyone here shed light on this? Any ideas? Thanks!

The MSA 161 T are recalled at the moment. This is from the Stihl website:

STIHL is recalling arborist chainsaw MSA 161 T. This recall concerns chainsaws with serial numbers from 438089138 up to and including 439360915.

Using this chainsaw, when gripping the machine, the shift lever may be pushed over without the lock button is pressed. After pushing it over, the shift lever may get stuck. This malfunction has the consequence that the chain can continue to run even after releasing the shift lever. As a result there is a safety risk and a risk of injury.

The chainsaws concerned cannot be repaired. Owners of a STIHL MSA 161 T arborist chainsaw with one of the above serial numbers are asked to no longer use these saws, but to hand them in immediately to the STIHL dealer from whom they bought the saw. This STIHL dealer will refund the purchase price. Please note that the purchase price can only be refunded by the STIHL dealer who sold the saw.

This recall action is a precautionary measure which STIHL is taking as a responsible manufacturer. We are not aware of any damages.

https://www.stihl.com/recall-of-stihl-msa-161-t.aspx

In Germany they may be availible again from March 2019 on or later.

The sprockets and engines of the MSA 160 T and 161 T are different. The MSA 160 T has 1/4P 7Teeth sprocket (1252 642 1201) and the MSA 161 T has a 1/4P 10Teeth sprocket (1252 642 1202).

The MSA 161 T are recalled at the moment. This is from the Stihl website:

STIHL is recalling arborist chainsaw MSA 161 T. This recall concerns chainsaws with serial numbers from 438089138 up to and including 439360915.

Using this chainsaw, when gripping the machine, the shift lever may be pushed over without the lock button is pressed. After pushing it over, the shift lever may get stuck. This malfunction has the consequence that the chain can continue to run even after releasing the shift lever. As a result there is a safety risk and a risk of injury.

The chainsaws concerned cannot be repaired. Owners of a STIHL MSA 161 T arborist chainsaw with one of the above serial numbers are asked to no longer use these saws, but to hand them in immediately to the STIHL dealer from whom they bought the saw. This STIHL dealer will refund the purchase price. Please note that the purchase price can only be refunded by the STIHL dealer who sold the saw.

This recall action is a precautionary measure which STIHL is taking as a responsible manufacturer. We are not aware of any damages.

https://www.stihl.com/recall-of-stihl-msa-161-t.aspx

In Germany they may be availible again from March 2019 on or later.

The sprockets and engines of the MSA 160 T and 161 T are different. The MSA 160 T has 1/4P 7Teeth sprocket (1252 642 1201) and the MSA 161 T has a 1/4P 10Teeth sprocket (1252 642 1202).

Yes, thanks DND9000, I'm aware of the recall. It was a problem with the throttle lockout button...nothing to do with the motor. Yes, the sprockets are different. Do you have any info on the spec of the motors? Part number for the 161 motor? Images? Sites? Vids? I need to know if I can tweak the motor in the 160, or replace it with the 161 motor, or replace the computer component to make it behave like the 161 motor.

This doesn't apply to your Stihl question but may give some insight into how manufactures can tweak products.
Back in the 70's i was a repair tech at a local service center for a very large power tool manufacture. They made two circular saws that were identical except for 2 parts, a blade guard and the name/model number sticker. One was a 6-1/2" saw the other 7-1/4". Both were rated at different hp and amperage even though both shared all electrical components and yes the 7-1/4" was priced significantly higher.
Now that with many things are controlled by chip boards I could see how "easy" it could be to change a sprocket, reprogrammed chip board and a model sticker and you've got a new product!
I'm sure someone will be along with parts numbers to give some insight.
2stroker

Yup, my thought exactly! If the theory turns out to be true, I'm seriously considering buying a 161 and doing a side-by-side tear down exposé. I just have the feeling there is a hack, and Stihl are working hard to suppress it...

Back