chain question..RM2 orRS?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i stopped to get an extra chain for my MS440 and asked for an RM2 (which is the chain that comes original with the saw). i got home and looked at the package and it is an RS chain. i guess he grabbed the wrong one. after looking it up it seems the RS may be a lil more agressive.
my question....i am a homey, not a commercial/pro....and have a lot of property clearing...i want your advice....should i bring the RS back and get the RM2? like i said, i am a homey with about as much experience as a home-owner can get, maybe a lil more, but is the RS too much chain for me? or will it be OK? just want to know since this is my first quality saw and don't have the experience with the different chains....have always used to the standard 3/8 low kickback before.
thanks

I am not trying to contradict TREECO, just offer a different viewpoint. If you are a highly skilled operator and operate in mostly clean wood, RS type chain is by far the best choice.

However, I am of the opinion that RM, RM2, chipper, semi-chisel, roundtooth, etc. chain does not get a fair shake many times. The main benefit it brings is that it stays sharp longer because it has a larger cutting surface. In the RM2 configuration it also has the added benefit of reduced kickback.

It will not cut as fast as RS, but you did mention clearing and when I read that, I think cutting low to the ground, vines, brush, dirty trees, dead trees, etc.

Don't discount the benefit of RM2 style chain for some applications, it might be a better choice.

I agree with TreeCo that RS is a superb chain. I use it exclusively on my MS440 and 660. But I also agree with formersawrep that in your case the RM2 may be the way to go -- added safety and it will stay sharp longer in a variety of cutting conditions.

I use RM2 on my 026 for exactly that reason. Bottom line: this is a tough call. You may want to use the RS just to see the difference -- be careful with it! Or exchange it if you prefer because the RM2 is probably the right chain for you.

yep i agree. with the exception of my liking 95 vp semichisel. ill go full chisel for my work any time. still the rm2 has its place i guess.good luck

Forget the RM2, the safety features will slow your cutting. You will get marginal benefit of longer time between sharpenings with RM chain. But, you will probably be delighted with the performance of the RS. Leave the RM2 for the soccer moms and other politically motivated "safety initiatives".

just to clarify my defintion of "clearing"....i have 1.5 acres and a load of mainly 12"-18" (some bigger) trees to get down...i plan to use the 440 for felling and bucking, i have a snapper 1838 (really a poulan w/snapper label..18"/38CC) that i use for the small stuff and limbing...the 440 only used for bucking and felling.
should i try the RS? it seems the bulk of replies is to go with the RS for what i intend to use it for.
thanks again!

Vman said:
...should i try the RS?...!

Sure, why not? Just be aware that it is very aggressive with no anti-kickback, so take it slow until you get the feel for it. Run a few slices off the end of an elevated log to get a sense of how it cuts and grabs into the wood.

Last edited:
I find certain situations where I like semi chisel, but I love RS for most tasks, its just plain more efficient, and you can cut more wood per tank of fuel.

Latest posts

Back