Chain Queston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Al

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I aquired a box of chains from a machinery sale, some new some used. amongst the new ones is a 60dl Carlton 3/8x1.3 lo pro, stamped N1 on the DL, it has a bumper link alongside the raker/depth gauge.similar to Stihl picco PS3 As I have never had any dealings with Carlton Lo pro chain, my question is, are all the N1 chains like this, or are there different types?, Do they cut well, or are they to much in the safety/ anti kick back league. Thanks.

The current n1c doesn't have safety humps and appears to me very very close to oregon vxl except there are no holes in the drive links to aid oil distribution. The n4c seems to me has the same cutter but the thinner .043 drive links. That one is a bit odd compared to the skinny kerf offerings of oregon and stihl. I see 91 on the drive links every other one actually. You might have some vintage stuff. I seem to recall some carlton or made by carlton stuff like you describe on closeout special in a hard plastic "box". It was bumper drive link though not sure if they (the hump or bumps) went back beside the depth gauge like stihl. Just what I have observed.

Last edited:
Vxl

The Oregon VXL is the Carlton N1C with a slightly different depth gauge. Carlton made the VXL chain for several years before Oregon made their own tooling to produce the cutter. Oregon copied Carlton, not the other way around.

I aquired a box of chains from a machinery sale, some new some used. amongst the new ones is a 60dl Carlton 3/8x1.3 lo pro, stamped N1 on the DL, it has a bumper link alongside the raker/depth gauge.similar to Stihl picco PS3 As I have never had any dealings with Carlton Lo pro chain, my question is, are all the N1 chains like this, or are there different types?, Do they cut well, or are they to much in the safety/ anti kick back league. Thanks.

Back when I was in the chainsaw business, we considered Carlton N1C superior to Oregon 91. The cutters were a little longer and harder than Oregon's offering. Folks could go longer between sharpenings and because the tooth was longer, you could get a couple more sharpenings out of a chain (all other things being equal).

If I remember correctly, there was straight N1C and there was N1C-BL as in Bumper Link. Yes it was safer, but IMO, it cuts just fine. Its nothing like the stuff that has bumper links in-between the teeth. My recommendation would be to use it. I think you will like it.

Thanks for your reply`s I did intend to use the chain when the saw it will fit needs a replacement. As I had never had dealings with Carlton Lo Pro, I thought I`d ask for opinions which seem to be favourable, so as & when I`ll give it a whirl, as it was an almost freebe I wont have lost anything ,& maybe it will be a good un.

Back