CHAIN, rollin' like a Bound

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When you ask yourself, "what are the chances that would ever happened", but it DID, then 100%...

Last time out with the Scouts I brought my DIY ms180 for firewood service. Well, after warming up and running a bit the chain just kept running so I turn it off, get some tools and do the usual but it just won't cooperate. Trying SA, low and high screws, reset to factory and still nothing. I got this saw roached out free and put a Chi-Com 180 kit and H/L adjustable carb into it. The adjustment hole never quite lined up and a few holes over bored to make the screw adjustments aren't marked making things all the more frustrating in the field. Well, I finished the work being oh so careful and put it away intending to pull the filter box and mark and align holes later. The get around to it came today. In the cleaning process taking the spur drive apart, twine wrapped tightly under the retaining washer and barely visible from the outside. What are the chances of that you ask? Apparently 100% today.

When you ask yourself, "what are the chances that would ever happened", but it DID, then 100%
Last time out with the Scouts I brought my DIY ms180 for firewood service. Well, after warming up and running a bit the chain just kept running so I turn it off, get some tools and do the usual but it just won't cooperate. Trying SA, low and high screws, reset to factory and still nothing. I got this saw roached out free and put a Chi-Com 180 kit and H/L adjustable carb into it. The adjustment hole never quite lined up and a few holes over bored to make the screw adjustments aren't marked making things all the more frustrating in the field. Well, I finished the work being oh so careful and put it away intending to pull the filter box and mark and align holes later. The get around to it came today. In the cleaning process taking the spur drive apart, twine wrapped tightly under the retaining washer and barely visible from the outside. What are the chances of that you ask? Apparently 100% today.
When was the last time you visualized "MURPHY" as toothless?
But all is well now .... Right?

Just working on a ms362, it seems the previous owner caught his chainsaw trousers... Same thing, sprocket was so tight I couldn't remove the e-clip without digging out some of the strands ! Over the years, I have seen it all ...

With the exception of clearing a stump, once in a blue moon, I am very cautious what and where I'm cutting and clearing.

"Murphy's Law" for sure. The string almost looked like poly tarpolian fabric.

Either way, if that's the worse that happens I'll be OK.

Back when my daughter was attending college about 50 miles from home, I got a call one evening. She was at a fast food restaurant and she told me there was a big puddle of oil under her truck. So, off I go to the rescue. When I arrive, I see the puddle of oil directly beneath the pinion shaft of her rear axle. Then she says, "Well Dad, just before I pulled in here a trash bag blew across the road and I ran over it...could that have anything to do with it?" And....sure enough, what I found was that bag had snagged the driveshaft/u-joint, wrapped around it, wind, wind, wind, stretch stretch stretch around the pinion yoke causing the bag to melt and stick to the oil seal. When she stopped at the traffic light the plastic hardened and when she let off the brake the drive shaft started turning and tore the entire seal out of the axle housing. Luckily she only drove a city block before she called me.

Murphy at his finest moment!!!!

Back when my daughter was attending college about 50 miles from home, I got a call one evening. She was at a fast food restaurant and she told me there was a big puddle of oil under her truck. So, off I go to the rescue. When I arrive, I see the puddle of oil directly beneath the pinion shaft of her rear axle. Then she says, "Well Dad, just before I pulled in here a trash bag blew across the road and I ran over it...could that have anything to do with it?" And....sure enough, what I found was that bag had snagged the driveshaft/u-joint, wrapped around it, wind, wind, wind, stretch stretch stretch around the pinion yoke causing the bag to melt and stick to the oil seal. When she stopped at the traffic light the plastic hardened and when she let off the brake the drive shaft started turning and tore the entire seal out of the axle housing. Luckily she only drove a city block before she called me.

Murphy at his finest moment!!!!

Yowza, 100% probability that day. Who'd 'a thought???

I've had an empty bag latch onto a heat shield or bracket and melt in place to a hot exhaust before.

Yowza, 100% probability that day. Who'd 'a thought???

I've had an empty bag latch onto a heat shield or bracket and melt in place to a hot exhaust before.
Had a customer come into the shop for overheating. I went out to his truck I saw a pretty blue radiator Long story short he had been cruising the back roads drinking his beer into the early morning. His heater wasn't working good enough and the cardboard had fallen out from in front of his radiator so YUP -- he had put a blue plastic bag back in front of his radiator and it was doubled and melted to the cores If he had taken it out the next morning things would have been better. Not wait months. Old truck got a used Radiator. I have told this story more than once...

Note to self, no synthetic materials on radiator.

Many many moons ago I have normally asperated 1600cc VW diesel. It would do 50mpg highway but was 1) gutless 2) in the winter, cold blooded as the day is long requiring radiator blank. Cardboard to the rescue...

Back