Chain ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rspike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ordered a 372Xp that came with a 18" bar&chain , I went ahead and got a 24" bar too with 2 chains and 4 more 18" chains . Now that i am looking at every thing i had got ..........The 18" bar says 18" 68DL 3/8 58 the extra four 18" chains say on the packages 18" 3/8 50 . The 24" extra bar i got says 3/8 84DL 50 and the packages of the two 24" chains say the same . Help?

Rspike said:
I ordered a 372Xp that came with a 18" bar&chain , I went ahead and got a 24" bar too with 2 chains and 4 more 18" chains . Now that i am looking at every thing i had got ..........The 18" bar says 18" 68DL 3/8 58 the extra four 18" chains say on the packages 18" 3/8 50 . The 24" extra bar i got says 3/8 84DL 50 and the packages of the two 24" chains say the same . Help?

Rspike,

If I understand you post correctly, on the 18 inch bar is a .58 guage bar, and the chains you got are .50 guage. The chain will not run properly in the bar, as the groove will be too large.

The DL indicates the number of drive links on the chain...

The 24 inch bar and Chain should be OK...

From Madsens... "Why Chain Gauge is Important
The gauge of a chain refers to the thickness of its drive links. It is determined by measuring the portion of the drive link that fits into the groove of the guide bar. It is usually expressed in thousandths of an inch: .050" or .063". The gauge of the chain and the groove in the bar must match. Gauge is also a factor that influences chain strength. Thicker drive links are usually stronger. But before you call us to buy heavy gauge chain, consider that gauge also affects the weight of the chain. Weight affects performance, and to maximize cutting speed, weight should be kept to a minimum. Like most things in life, there are compromises. Pro saw chain is no different. The rule usually is: Run the lightest gauge chain that stays together and gives you decent service life.

http://madsens1.com/Oregon2.htm

"If I understand you post correctly, on the 18 inch bar is a .58 guage bar, and the chains you got are .50 guage." That is correct . So one cant run a 50 guage chain on a 58 guage bar ........ .008 seems so little of a difference. So i can run the 24" bar that is .050 with the matching 24" chains on the 372XP if i understand you correct. So then i dont have a sprocket issue with the different guage , correct. just as long as the chain and bar match .

You got it right.:cheers:
Using .050 chain in a .058 bar will lead to excessive wear and sooner or later also crooked cutting.
The same sprockets work with all gages as long as the pitch is right.

You should return your 18" chains, and get some that is the correct gauge for your 18" bar.

SawTroll said:
You got it right.:cheers:
Using .050 chain in a .058 bar will lead to excessive wear and sooner or later also crooked cutting.
The same sprockets work with all gages as long as the pitch is right.

You should return your 18" chains, and get some that is the correct gauge for your 18" bar.
What about just getting a 18" bar that is .50 guage .

You're on the right track Spike. Your idea of swapping the 18" bar for an .050 guage is probably the easiest since everything else you have is .050. In some areas of the country the .058 is not very common. I have one .058 bar here and I've never been able to find more chain for it locally, so it's been hanging on a hook for 2 years. I run .050 on all my big saws.

Rspike, I agree wholeheartedly with the Skwerl - get rid of the .58 bar and get yourself a .50 - it will make your life easier in the longrun, and the saw will probably run a bit better as well...

o'yeah

Great input guys . I think it is very odd that the saws comes stock with a .058 and the .058 chain seems to be harder to find. I mean com'mon cant saws just all come with and use one guage bar ? Why does there really have to be so many sizes of guage. Its my understanding there really is no "chain cutting difference between the 3/8 X .058 and the 3/8 X .050 , but understand the same guage differences in .325 chain is the .050 is narrow kerf. Chain differences are are a pain.

Rspike said:
....but understand the same guage differences in .325 chain is the .050 is narrow kerf. .....
Most .325 .050 chain is basically the same as the .058 and .063 ones, only a few are narrow kerf.

Back