Chain Saw Blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Today I received my McCulloch SP125c and had a unpleasant surprise. Ups had broken the starter and fan housing on it. The saw has $500.00 of insurance on it, but I have never dealt with insurance claims before. Has anyone on this forum ever dealt with claims like this, and if so can anyone give me advice. Thanks

Call UPS... They'll get you started... but it's the SELLER that has to make the claim. If you bought it on Ebay, file a claim... just to get you in-line.. read the ebay guidelines first..

It's PITA.. Most often after months of BS (by which time it's too late to claim from EBAY or Paypal), you will get declined... "insufficient packaging". Unless of course you can see a tire print from a UPS Truck on it..

Today I received my McCulloch SP125c and had a unpleasant surprise. Ups had broken the starter and fan housing on it. The saw has $500.00 of insurance on it, but I have never dealt with insurance claims before. Has anyone on this forum ever dealt with claims like this, and if so can anyone give me advice. Thanks

good luck, UPS has a reputation for not paying their claims. They owe me $500 from 2 years ago. I made good to my customer, UPS never paid me. When I call to check on it, I get transfered, transfered and then disconnected. The problem is, they buy insurance from a 3rd party. They don't handle the insurance themselves, and don't have a system in place when something goes wrong. Plain and simply, I wouldn't use UPS to ship dog crap, never mind anything good. Use DHL from now on if you have the choice. I had 1 broken package with them, and they handled it professionally and I got my money back from them.

It's PITA.. Most often after months of BS (by which time it's too late to claim from EBAY or Paypal), you will get declined... "insufficient packaging". Unless of course you can see a tire print from a UPS Truck on it..

Insufficient packaging in this situation is likely. I have bought and sold quite a few saws, and shipped them without problems. Granted, the package handlers aren't gentle by any means, but a well packed item will make the trip just fine, unless of course, it does get run over, or speared by a forklift.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hopefully things will work out for you.

Insufficient packaging

You got to be kidding me!!???

WTH is the insurance for then?
Total BS imo.

Why anyone uses ups is beyond me anyway.
They are way more expensive than the post office.
Most local post offices that I have used go out of their way to be helpful.
UPS just wants double to send a package slower!
What can Brown do for you?

Take more of your money in return for nothing!

You got to be kidding me!!???

WTH is the insurance for then?
Total BS imo.

Why anyone uses ups is beyond me anyway.
They are way more expensive than the post office.
Most local post offices that I have used go out of their way to be helpful.
UPS just wants double to send a package slower!
What can Brown do for you?

Take more of your money in return for nothing!

well you are not supposed to ship anything via the us postal service that once contained gas and or oil. So you are not supposed to ship used chainsaws via usps. I have received chainsaws via the usps and the mailman made a point to say that the shipper should not have shipped it that way. Go with DHL . They are fast, cheap, and professional. Can't say that for UPS.

Insufficient packaging in this situation is likely. I have bought and sold quite a few saws, and shipped them without problems. Granted, the package handlers aren't gentle by any means, but a well packed item will make the trip just fine, unless of course, it does get run over, or speared by a forklift.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hopefully things will work out for you.

You must work for UPS:monkey:

UPS's stance is that if it was sufficiently packaged, it wouldn't break..... nice...

well you are not supposed to ship anything via the us postal service that once contained gas and or oil. So you are not supposed to ship used chainsaws via usps. I have received chainsaws via the usps and the mailman made a point to say that the shipper should not have shipped it that way. Go with DHL . They are fast, cheap, and professional. Can't say that for UPS.

How does that work since usps handles dhls local delivery in the sticks?

You must work for UPS:monkey:

UPS's stance is that if it was sufficiently packaged, it wouldn't break..... nice...

Nope, not even close. But the box monkeys at UPS did destroy and then subsequently buy me a set of wheels for my truck. I guess I just had good luck with my claim and the place that sold them to me. I would be pissed if my saw showed up broken. Especially if it was just wrapped in a plastic bag and floating around in an oversized box with no packing/cushion. Heck, crumpled up newspaper works good, and so do plastic grocery bags, etc. I guess we can all just speculate that it was UPS' fault having not seen the box or the packaging.

I am with everyone else though, USPS for me!

Document everything you do and make the carrier reps sign it. Save any paperwork, receipts, etc.
I bought a turntable on ebay that was broken in transit. The seller gave me a hassle about the claim and wanted the carrier to assess the damage. They came to look at it and said they had to take it back to the depot to assess. The shipping order said to pick up, inspect, and bring back to me. Guess what - they sent it back to the seller who I never heard from again. Because I documented the shipping order and proved the carrier screwed up, they refunded the full amount of the purchase.

Sorry to hear about your 125. It's an awesome saw! You may be able to find parts from someone on this site. Do a search.

You are not supposed to ship items containing liquids, flammables or other combustables.

I ship saws in discarded saw boxes from the local dealers and never had so much as a question asked.

Ive even told them whats in the box and all they wanted to know was if the fluids were drained.

I got 500 bucks out of UPS once when they lost a set of clockworks. Took forever and lots of threats but I got it.

You are not supposed to ship items containing liquids, flammables or other combustables.

I ship saws in discarded saw boxes from the local dealers and never had so much as a question asked.

Ive even told them whats in the box and all they wanted to know was if the fluids were drained.

I ship saws through them also ... It just can't have like a tank of gas or something ...

ups

hey i got a generator that looked like a superbowl football the package had been dropped so many times that it seemed intentional! The problem is no one seems to take pride in their work, work ethics have been declining and I have heard horror stories of fast food joints finding all kinds of stuff for a good word!
The longer time seems to go the worse the problem gets, and all would be better with better ethics and workforce. I will not eat fast food anymore because if I caught a pun? doing that to my food,
I would probably end up in jail for a very long time.
He would not think it was funny after I was through, but I would pay the cost of his sickness! We all need to do good work and companies should reward the ones that do and fire the pun? that do not. Our packages would be treated like they were their packages. Insurance would pay instead of finding lawyers to shift responsibility, government would do what they say in speeches
instead of, fattening their pockets with special interest group moneys as well as over taxing the middle class. ethics pure and simple can cure this

Thanks for the information, and I am going to talk to Ups this morning. I have the felling that they will not be able to help me. Again thanks, and this would be a good thread for anyone to read that has not dealt with shipping companies.

I used to fly a small feeder route for UPS. If items come from a small, remote town it can get picked up in a mighty small airplane... like.. one in which the pilot has to climb OVER your stuff to get into the cockpit. Think about it.. loaded into a truck, loaded into a little airplane, unloaded to a distrubution facility (where it rides around a bit and may tumble some) loaded into another airplane (maybe big, maybe small), loaded into a truck, set at your door. Might even transfer into another airplane in there somewhere. Sometimes things go well, other times not so much. However, even DHL and USPS go through the same process.

I used to fly a small feeder route for UPS. If items come from a small, remote town it can get picked up in a mighty small airplane... like.. one in which the pilot has to climb OVER your stuff to get into the cockpit. Think about it.. loaded into a truck, loaded into a little airplane, unloaded to a distrubution facility (where it rides around a bit and may tumble some) loaded into another airplane (maybe big, maybe small), loaded into a truck, set at your door. Might even transfer into another airplane in there somewhere. Sometimes things go well, other times not so much. However, even DHL and USPS go through the same process.

sure they do, but I believe the point being made was ups rarely if ever pays its insurance claims. I know for a fact dhl does, i never ship anything breakable vai usps so I don't know about their claims. But I do know for a fact the ups owes me on 2 claims, which I will never collect on, and its their loss, cause what they owe me in claims, is business I give every 2 months to dhl. In other words, ups owes me $500 and my average bill over a 2 month period is $500 to dhl. UPS gets none of my business, and never will again.

Thanks for the information, and I am going to talk to Ups this morning. I have the felling that they will not be able to help me. Again thanks, and this would be a good thread for anyone to read that has not dealt with shipping companies.

Let us know how it goes. I always try the nice guy route at first, then escalate as needed. Most folks are helpful with no escalation required!

Back