Chain saw idling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Newbie here. I put a new carb on a PP220. I've read everthing about adjusting the carb, I have the limiters off right now.
I can't get it to idle without the chain moving, it either is running too fast so the chain moves or it stalls.
My question is, how sensitive is the adjustment typically. I'm trying to keep to less than 1/8 turn at a time. Is this too much? I've only adjusted idle and low, haven't done anything with the high speed screw yet.

Thanks

The Lo needle can be extremely sensitive on some saws....Making changes of 1/32 turn or so makes actual changes in function... 1/8 turn is huge. If your clutch springs are in order, and there are no air leaks..... Here's how I adjust idles...

With the saw fully warmed up, slowly adjust the Lo needle. Find where the saw idles fastest, just by adjusting the Lo needle (don't touch the idle screw). The chain will be moving, so this IS safest done with the bar and chain removed. When the idle is at its fastest mixture, leaning it further (screwing clockwise) will cause it to quit or at least refuse to accelerate...

Let it idle a bit, and then punch the throttle. It should accelerate well. If it bogs, richen the Lo slightly (screwdriver blade width).... Repeat.

Now lower the idle speed. Re-check the Lo mixture (idle for a minute or so, punch throttle). If it "sucks air" and bogs, richen the Lo. if it stumbles and smokes, lean the Lo. When its right, it'll pick up well and idle "forever".

On older saws with harder to find clutch springs, I live with the chain just hitchin' along every now and again.... But never running constantly.

J

Back