Chain saw opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancher2

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a elco or a solo saw from Baileys. I need a 80cc saw to take down some big hedge and to buck it up. I just hate to send the big money to buy a stil in that size range.

solo

while not in the size your looking for, I purchased a solo 656 from Bailey's. Run about 2 gallon gas through it so far and it works great!

Must be some monster hedge! We cut hedge post all the time with our 361 Stihl. I've got a JD CS 56 just a little 4 hp saw, it was made by efco, it's been one heck of a saw, no issues at all, it's better built imo than the home owner stihls and huskies, pro-construction, etc. If I were going to use one for hedge cutting I'd go to local dealer's and find one I like, and buy there, hedge is tough, especially seasoned, it can be hard on a saw, I'd rather have a dealer with good service any day, unless you can save substantially by going mail order or internet. Lot's of good options I prefer Stihl because I have had over thirty years of outstanding performance and reliability, 441,460,650 or 660 should do anything you want to, Husky 372's are supposed to be bullet proof and people here rave about the 7900 dolmars.
Get ya one and make some of those pretty yellow chips.

Indian springs I agree with you I like stil a lot I have a 038 that is 25 years old and has sawed a lot of wood and has never been in the shop. I like to think I take care of epuipment. We do have some monster hedge we bought a 160 next to a 160 we had owned for years both had hedge planted on them in the 1930s we have cut on ours for the last thirty years no one has cut on the farm we just bought and a lot of the hedge is six and eight foot at the base some big wood, sure is making nice fire wood for the Garn. I just don't feel like shelling out 1200 for a big stil if I can buy a Efco for 600 or a Solo for 750 thats about what they want for a used 460 around here. Why buy some ones used saw if you can but a new one for the same money. We also run two 5100 Dolmars and love them we do most of our sawing with them. I sure hope winter is about over it is time to cut more hedge post and fire wood.

Back