Help with pioneer 650 3/8ths chain selection.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trav3lingman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got a pioneer 650 I am converting to 3/8ths chain for the occasional use on bucking out large rounds. Finding the original bars is both difficult and spendy for something in the 26-28 inch range. I however found a 3/8ths spur drum from chainsawr. 8 tooth spur drum. I know I will have to modify a bar for proper oiling per some other posts. I am just not experienced enough to as of yet to figure out which chain I need. PN on the drum is Sabre N205-A8. If this is a dumb question please feel free to mock lol.

The listing says it's for a 620 or 650. Should be correct. Only drum I've seen that's nearly the same width and diameter. Lots of Pioneers use those: 600s thru 650, 400, 450, 550, nu-17, all IEL direct drives. You may be able to find a splined rim type even. Clutches swap. In fact, the ipls for older saws call out using the later model clutch assembly. Your 650 should be already equipped.

As far as the bar, I found a couple NOS Oregon bars for the mcculloch 10 series. Slot is the right size and the oiler holes line. They were .404 bars but I swapped tips to 3/8.

The listing says it's for a 620 or 650. Should be correct. Only drum I've seen that's nearly the same width and diameter. Lots of Pioneers use those: 600s thru 650, 400, 450, 550, nu-17, all IEL direct drives. You may be able to find a splined rim type even. Clutches swap. In fact, the ipls for older saws call out using the later model clutch assembly. Your 650 should be already equipped.

As far as the bar, I found a couple NOS Oregon bars for the mcculloch 10 series. Slot is the right size and the oiler holes line. They were .404 bars but I swapped tips to 3/8.
I know that people have said that d176 bar mount that Mac uses could be modified, but I didn't realize that the Mac bars would actually line up without a bunch of grinding. I'll have take the bar off my 1-51 and see if it lines up for me.

I picked this pioneer up a couple weeks back for a hundred bucks which in my area is a good price. Takes about three or four pulls to start and run just fine. Needs a repaint and an inner guard plate but that's about it.

Latest posts

Back