Chain sharpening, round or square?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla

Olympic Piss-reving wanna be.
Greetings all. I almost hate to post this topic as its surely here already. I did some searching and reading already, trouble is there's as much bad info as good it seems.

I've been hand filing for some years. Out of necessity, I'm a self taught type. I can keep em pretty good with typical round semi chisel. Most of my cutting is in dirty wood from blow downs etc.

I'm interested in learning to up my game for those occasional clean wood felling and bucking gigs. I've heard of others converting round chisel to square. Seems like a good starting point (as I have plenty to work with). Of course, I'm likely to buy some fancy new chain to see what I've been missing;-)

I'd like to see some links to good info. Possibly some good videos. Preferably not a bunch of hacks and pikers that THINK they know what they're talking about. But rather some real "inside expertise" from loggers, arborist, or even "chain tweakers".

Mods, feel free to move this thread as you see fit.

GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla

I'm thinking to do this properly, you need to hold the file in a manner so as to sharpen the leading edge of the top plate, and simultaneously maintain the square edge in the corner. Presumably the gullet will need occasional work with a round file too eh? I'm guessing that could be done on a similar schedule with raker adjustment?

Thanks for posting the vid. With all the google links down (hopefully not lost) its tough to find all the great chain info that I know is on AS. Any links to good chain sharpening info is appreciated.

HuskStihl

HuskStihl

Chairin'em for the sound

This is a comparison of a square grind chain done by a man known by many names in many lands, he is sometimes referred to as mike. The other is just my attempt at agressive round ground

GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla

A lot of what I'm reading is leading me to believe that hand filing square is dang tough. I'm pretty good with a round file. Having spent a LOT of time learning to really put an edge on a knife, I realize the importance of precise angles. And that seems to be the name of the game on square chisel.

Question is, is it worth it? Does square chisel offer much over round chisel? Edit: I should say "in the hands of a hack", is learning to hand file square worthwhile? Is

Last edited:
Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
A lot of what I'm reading is leading me to believe that hand filing square is dang tough. I'm pretty good with a round file. Having spent a LOT of time learning to really put an edge on a knife, I realize the importance of precise angles. And that seems to be the name of the game on square chisel.

Question is, is it worth it? Does square chisel offer much over round chisel?

It's worth it. Mostly. If you're cutting clean wood square will usually out-cut a round filed chain. It doesn't out-cut by a lot but there's definitely an improvement.

But...if you're cutting dirty wood or wood with sand or mud on it the square will dull faster. The time you spend changing chains will eat up any time you've gained with running square.

Hand filing square chain isn't a science but it's very demanding. It takes awhile to catch on and every tooth has to be perfect or you lose the advantage of using square. Most of the guys that use square exclusively do their sharpening with a grinder. A good grinder.

Hand filing round is much easier and the angles are a lot more forgiving.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I have a grinder and still file a lot of square just cause I need to stay in practice. I've been trying to get semi chisel to cut with chisel chain and have gotten pretty close.

GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla

While I'm throwing good chips with round chisel, there's still a lot of room left to improve my skills. And quite a bit of the wood I cut is dirty so I'm probably best sticking mostly to semi chisel. (Wont stop me from playing around a little).

My neighbor uses a dremel pretty effectively. But can't hand file to save his life. With just a couple strokes of a file after he dremels them, I can have em throwing some nice chips. Good enough for cutting wood for burning;-)

Is it my imagination, or do Stihl RSK seem to cut best with about half the cutter (or more) ground down? I'm guessing it comes down to its ability to clear chips? Dunno. It just seems like they cut best when close to end of their life (if done right).

HuskStihl

HuskStihl

Chairin'em for the sound
I find my chains work a little better after several sharpenings.
I had the pleasure of having 2 square ground chains from Mdavlee, whose sharpening has been praised by several big boy production guys who know what a chain should do. They were sharp, sharp, sharp, but did not "make my saw cut 10cc's better." I am in the minority, and am not any sort of saw pro even though I run my mouth like I am, but I am not buying a grinder or learning to file, as there's no way I'm making them cut as good as Mike's, and I didn't see enough of a difference between "accidentally cut u'r finger" sharp square, and "accidentally cut your finger" sharp round

northmanlogging
Square filing is a pain to learn but not impossible,

Square takes more maintenance then round file, you have to dress the gullets and the riders, as well as keep it razor sharp.

And like gologit said square don't like dirty wood at all, for falling, limbing and bucking for production its great, soon as they roll around on the landing or behind the skidder/tractor, or whatever, then round it is.

4x4American

4x4American

Got Sawdust?
heres what i understand: with square ground you need a "goofy" file and they are pretty spendy. you can order them from madsens or baileys. If you need to get it ground you're most likely gonna have to ship it to someone with a square grinder, you can't use a regular round grinder no matter what wheel you put on it. Out east square ground chains are very uncommon and almost of the dealers i've been to have no idea what square ground chain is. if you're cutting dirty wood, it's not worth it. if you wanna quicker chain try a full or semi skip round ground chisel chain.

here's a detailed write up on square ground from madsen's.
http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_filing_cb.htm

homemade

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
I've seen a vid on here with the same saw cutting through a log. Once with a square ground and once with a round ground. It was an 18 in round and don't remember what the species was but it was a noticeable difference
I often thought about getting a square grinder seeing how I don't have a grinder right now. I know enough ppl that I can use any time I want but I just want to be better/different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk