chain sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big1079

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK pros,if a chain is cutting hard to the left or right almost circular. what is the problem and what is the remedy. using stihl and oregon 91.thanks for the help..

Most likely, cutters shorter on one side. Then there's the uneven bar rails, screwed chain, bent bar possibilities. And now some wise guy will chirp in and say your bar nuts are on backwards.:laugh: :laugh:

Hi, Tom is right , Uneven cutters or bar rails need dressing, third possibility is cutter top plate angles different left to right, I was given 5 chains during the week to sharpen which had been previously sharpened by a saw shop and they had really messed it up, not only was there too much hook in the cutter side plate but left top plate angle was 25o & right was 35o - these dicks are supposed to be professional !
Rooshooter:greenchainsaw:

91vp

Hi Big 1079
The 91vp chain has alot of safty bumpers built into it. I would rather use the 95vp type of chain it cuts much smoother. Left to right skewing could be a 50ga chain in a 58ga bar.

I done that one!

Thought of something else, have you checked the groove in the bar to make sure it is not flogged out allowing the chain to tilt ?

Rooshooter

I had a old saw with a worn bar and 7/16 chain. It would cut circles unless very carefully sharpened. I discovered that the bar had massive wear, and I could actually drop the chain a full 1/8 into the bar. With a grinder....:stupid: I removed metal. It worked for that one. Cut straight after that.

I rather doubt that this saw has that problem real bad, but the chain being sharpened real badly could cause this easy....

-Pat

Latest posts

Back