Chain sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My guy who did my chains closed so i gave this preson a try. the new guy nicked every one of the drive links on my chain under the kelf. My question is am i to picky because the old guy never did. I will try to post pics soon:(

I always get into the drive-links when I sharpen... As does the old guy at my local Husq. dealer. He helped me with my sharpening when I was a youngster.

Potato pa-tah-toe.

:)

I make sure I never touch the drive links when sharpening. I have hit them before by accident, but certainly try my best to not touch them. Its a no-no as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like its time your start sharpening yourself!!

Always filed my chains myself but last fall I got a cheapy sharpener from Harbor Freight,not anything fancy but it will do a decent job if you take your time.
But filing into the drive links is bad,I've had it happen but try not to because all it will do is weaken the links and lead to failure,not to mention that the angle/pitch is going to be off.

I just sharpened my chains this weekend and got into the links a little myself. I was pretty much following the angle that was already present.

Learn to sharpen by hand without taking chain off saw! Its faster and cheaper and when you learn how you can get a chain just as sharp as a grinder. Grinders are spendy and only, as far as I am concerned, needed only for tree harvesters and prosescers on landings.

Neither have I but I don't want to give it any reason to!!

I said the same thing to Don (the old guy I referred to earlier)... I said, "Don, you're not supposed to get into the drive-links!.. It'll weaken the chain!" He laughed at me.

Don has been in the saw biz for over 50 years... Unless you're really digging into them (like a dummy), there is no problem. I've been using a saw for 20 years, and he helped me hone my sharpening skills a lot. His hand filed chains are next to none for sharpness.

I've seen chains brought in by 'pro' users, and they're filing skills (more often than not) leave a lot to be desired. Don told me a story from back in the '70s... He had a logger bring a saw in for a tune, and Don saw how messed up the chain was. When the logger came into the shop to get his saw, Don asked, "Who taught you how to file a chain?.. It's horrible." The guy got miffed, and said his granddaddy had showed him how, and they were 6th generation loggers--blah, blah, blah. Don sat the guy at the bench, and filed his chain in front of him... Describing what he was doing, and why. The next week the logger popped in, and told Don he couldn't believe how well the saw cut, and asked Don to teach him how to file.

Point being, Don gets into the drive-links a little while filing... 50 years worth... Zero failures.

To each his own though. :cheers:

Are you guys saying that you have never had a chain fail because you filed into the side straps or that you have just never had a chain fail? I have had brand new chains fail the same day I put them on my saw and that is oregon and sthil chain.

Are you guys saying that you have never had a chain fail because you filed into the side straps or that you have just never had a chain fail? I have had brand new chains fail the same day I put them on my saw and that is oregon and sthil chain.

Failures due to filing into the link.

Both. I think a lot of these fellas use a grinder to rough-in, and touch-up with a file.

:cheers:

I believe the original post was referring to sharpening with a grinder, probably not square chisel, at least that is how I took it. All of the publications I have seen show you should not lower the wheel any lower than the radius of the wheel. If you do it that way you should never get into the straps. If you do go lower, I believe you are changing the angles of the outside plate. If you are sharpening by hand with a round file and you are hitting the straps, then I think you are putting the file to low and making to much hook on the cutter. Or you are using a file larger than recommended. I have never filed square chisel by hand so I have no first hand experience. But by looking at some pictures I could see how the file could come into contact with the straps.

Sam

I have sharpened by hand for abit and I get into the strap a little, not on purpose..no failures...

If you hand file as I do than you have to use 2 size files..... the big size for the first half life of the chain and the next size down file for the last half of the chains life........

Maybe if you use a hot saw or v8 you should be worried about the chain breaking:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

I have always used a 7/32 file on 50 ga chain and if I am hitting the side straps with file then I am putting to much of a hook on cutter tooth and if you put to much hook it will round over and not cut. Also it you use sthil chain, I am not sure if oregon is like this, on the very back of cutter tooth you will see a line on the top of the tooth to help keep your angle true.

I really don't see how you could be filing into the tie-strap, if your are the file is too low??? I've never filed or ground into the tie strap, only by accident. I run a grinder to sharpen my chains most of the time. I hand file in the woods if needed.

Back