Chain Sharping From A Novice Stand point

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
SHARPENING... I mean....can't even spell!

:newbie: to making my own chains....cut.

I am not a newbie as far as cutting firewood goes.

I usta have a local Stihl dealer here that was kinda a mom & pop sorta place.

I only had three (little) saws at that time.

Bought 3-4chains for each and changed em out. Took em back when dull and had him grind em. Reasonable and...cut great when I got them back!

He retired and sold out to a rental place. They can't fix saws and turn chains bright blue (useless) when sharpened.:mad: I went in to this place awhile back to buy a 361 and they INSISTED I buy a 390 instead. (Went elsewhere and bought the 361)

I came to this site, by accident, to learn a little and soon find myself in possession of 9 chainsaws.

Problem is... no matter how good the saw is it's worthless with a dull chain. The dealer (great tech) I bought the 361 from is 30 minutes away and only open weekdays 8 to 5.

I gotta learn to sharpen my own chains. Read every post I can find on the subject and..... too many different opinions to get a feel for it. (A pro's opinion don't mean much to a newbie) My attempts at hand filing, in the past, have only led to cutting nice "curves".

My approach to this was to buy several recommenced "systems" and try em out.

To date I've bought The Pherd system (no good, can't see the angle), a Stihl sharpening guide (still can't maintain the "angle"...can't see it), a Oregon 12 volt sharpener (totally useless, stones burn up, instantly), a Grandberg File & Joint (hard to set up) and finally a little gizmo marketed by Husky that cost a whopping $6.95 (by itself) or $14.95 with 2 round files and handle plus a flat file for the rakers. This gizzy WORKS (for me). Locks on to the bar, shows you (easiely) the correct angle, wont let you file too low AND was the cheapest of the lot! Even fits in your shirt pocket. Instructions suck though....just pictures. (still haven't figured out how to use it for the rakers)

Reckon I'll keep the Grandburg for in the shop work in case I get to cutting curves, and take the $6.95 gizzy to the woods.

The rest is for sale. (cheap)

Last edited:
Send it all to me, Dan and I'll suffer the postage. I'm still learning after 30 years too. Blue is BAD !

How 'bout this newbie sharpening question...

My new stihl chain on my 046 is currently square cut. Since I won't be attempting square filing soon, I will just be round filing for a while. Is there any special process for the first time round filing a new chain (once it dulls to point of being necessary)?

Do you mean chisel or actually square ground?If it is just chisel it probably gets filed round,if it is square ground you may also file it round if you like.As for filing stihl chain aim for the same angle as the line on the top of the cutter,Keep the file parallel(or so)to whatever surface you are working on.

Last edited:
I gave up years of dremel grinding stones after finding this site, chains would be sharp, but uneven with mangled angles. I'm having really good luck with the hand files, without any guides. It helps to have a witness mark, which my carlton/woodsmanpro loops are missing. Try your pferd files out with out the guide gizmo, perhaps.

The gizmo's work for some,I find it awkward and just like the stihl holder and a file,and don't be afraid to toss the file before you have to fight to make it sharpen!

Files

Get yourself a nice piece of oak or beech about 4" long and 1.5" in diameter, drill a hole in it and stick the 7/32 file in it. Keep the same angle as the marking, push straight back and up just a tad into the tooth filing with the point on the opposite side of you always. About every 2nd filing I grab my makita hand grinder and ONLY use it for the rakers... I just give each of them a touch and make sure they are always even or it will run on you when cutting... The link below has been the best thing I've found all around for hand filing. Cheap, very easy to use and keeps everything identical all the time... Good luch bro...

:cheers: eh?

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=65981&catID=273

Do you mean chisel or actually square ground?If it is just chisel it probably gets filed round,if it is square ground you may also file it round if you like.As for filing stihl chain aim for the same angle as the line on the top of the cutter,Keep the file parallel(or so)to whatever surface you are working on.

Does this help...?

DSC01884.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

I've only done basic maintenance filing in the past to chains that were already round filed. Just want to make sure I approach the brand new one the best way possible and not do something I'm not supposed to because of the style of chain. :cheers:

yup that is square ground,you can file it round if you want.File it the same as you would round.

Last edited:
yup that is square ground,you can file it round if you want.File it the same as you would round.

So I'm assuming it'll just take more passes the first time "converting" it to round? Am I shooting myself in the foot round filing? I'm just thinking easier to to do an ok job. Loosing a second in the cut prolly won't kill me.

It has been done lots people try square knowing its faster,not knowing it takes more time and convert their chains no biggie.

Back