Chain Speed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What would be a good chain speed for a chainsaw mill with a .404 x .080 on a harvester bar ? I think I can get about 3000 FPM direct drive or up to 7000FPM with the pulleys I have ordered. It will have a 16HP engine.

clintb said:
What would be a good chain speed for a chainsaw mill with a .404 x .080 on a harvester bar ? I think I can get about 3000 FPM direct drive or up to 7000FPM with the pulleys I have ordered. It will have a 16HP engine.

Hmmm... don't know exactly but here's a comparison...

Assuming 6000 rpm (max torque per the book) in the cut on my 084, .404 chain w/ 7 pin sprocket = 1414 fpm +/-. You probably know this but when you gear up the chain speed you decrease the pulling power of the chain. I'd start low myself and go from there. Just an opinion, though.

Be sure to post lots of pics. This will be interesting to see.

Aggie You figured it the way I did before last night. I found a post that said 2 times .404, then I measured the drive links and it was .808. So if my engine will get up to about 3500 it should be about the same as your saw.

clintb said:
Aggie You figured it the way I did before last night. I found a post that said 2 times .404, then I measured the drive links and it was .808. So if my engine will get up to about 3500 it should be about the same as your saw.

Well, I did say +-.:) That's what I get for not completing the thought before I type.:bang:

Latest posts

Back