Chain Spinner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wodbutchr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
Trying to make my own chain loops, I just realized the spinner (oregon?) is missing the anvils.

Nobody carries one around here, so I was thinking to use a donor 5/16 allen wrench and grind my own.

From memory, the length of the shank was about 7/8" and the groove 1/16" deep.

Also there is a small anvil for .325 chain and a big anvil for 3/8 chain.

Does anybody know the dimensions (length, depth of groove) for both anvil types?

Or has anybody designed an anvil for .325 and 3/8 chains?

Thanks

You could most likely get one from Baileys .The ones from mfg supply will work but you have to cut them off shorter with a die grinder[hard like a rock].

Don't have the exact dimensions but since you know what they look like just grind to match the existing new rivets on your chain then order new anvils from baileys.

Woodbutchr;

I have made replacement anvils and wouldn't recommend it. The so called notch or groove needs to have a slightly v shaped bottom to it and the centre of the v must be perfectly centred or it will wobble the rivet and chain all over and not centre the head of it. A simple flat notch will smear a head on the rivet but not expand it properly to fill the bell mouthed hole in the side strap and you will have rivets that loosen in use. The width and depth must be just right to form a proper head from the available metal of the preset. Most allen keys are not hard enough in their normal state to maintain the shape of the notch and continue forming proper heads for long. The stock has to be quenched and tempered and you will break a few before you get this just right. An ordinary stone does not make crisp enough corners to do a good job either. I used diamond wheel. Not all brands of anvils interchange, but some only need to be trimmed to fit. It ain't worth the aggravation. When you do get new anvils be sure to use a daub of grease on each rivet end before you spin. Never Seize works well and stays put. Some people have made out well just using a squirt of oil.

lube

Crofter said:
Woodbutchr;

I have made replacement anvils and wouldn't recommend it. The so called notch or groove needs to have a slightly v shaped bottom to it and the centre of the v must be perfectly centred or it will wobble the rivet and chain all over and not centre the head of it. A simple flat notch will smear a head on the rivet but not expand it properly to fill the bell mouthed hole in the side strap and you will have rivets that loosen in use. The width and depth must be just right to form a proper head from the available metal of the preset. Most allen keys are not hard enough in their normal state to maintain the shape of the notch and continue forming proper heads for long. The stock has to be quenched and tempered and you will break a few before you get this just right. An ordinary stone does not make crisp enough corners to do a good job either. I used diamond wheel. Not all brands of anvils interchange, but some only need to be trimmed to fit. It ain't worth the aggravation. When you do get new anvils be sure to use a daub of grease on each rivet end before you spin. Never Seize works well and stays put. Some people have made out well just using a squirt of oil.
Graphite from a No. 2 pencil works as a lube in a pinch and it works when you're not in a pinch. Got a pencil handy to the workbench?

Woodbutchr,
If the spinner was new and came without anvils please call 503 653-8881 and ask for technical services/warranty dept. Explain what happened and they will ship you out the correct anvils. There are different models of spinners so please have the model number of your spinner.

Latest posts

Back