Chain Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radioFlash

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is how I store my extra chains. These containers are 10$ at Amazon or Target. Is there a better way? I've seen suggested nails on the wall (great if I had extra wall space!) or ziploc bags.

IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6138.jpg

I like your idea. If I have a lot of the same chains I use a 1 lb metal coffee can....some of you might remember them..lol. and a squirted of WD-40....

Lots of ways to store chains. Depends on whether they're in the shop or need to go to the job site. I use sections of blue jean legs, old socks, etc to put them in my truck chainsaw tool box (an old Sawzall case)
For in the shop I put them in plastic shoe boxes by type of chain. ie, 3/8 x .050 in one box, 3/8 x .063 in another box, .325 x .050 in another box and so forth. Those plastic shoe boxes then go in file cabinet drawers that also contain rolls of chain and chain grinder spare parts. I also have brackets on the wall for misc chains that have been sharpened but not stowed. I have a lot of saws but the amount of chains I have borders on the ridiculous... At least they take less room than saws...

Nails on the wall, pegs in the pegboard (Several walls are all pegboard). Have hundred of chains hung up like that at the shop.
Same with bars that have holes or closed tails. The open tail ones are just in piles.

Guido, I like that rack. I'm looking at the space behind it though and thinking if that would be additional bar/chain storage...

It sits about 1.5" out from the wall, that is due to the length of bolts I had and to ensure it sits flat. I am going to add a "T" to the middle post so I can store bars and chains on both sides.

Several threads on this. Some photos have been lost, but generally: zip lock bags, Tupperware, other available containers, wooden boxes, tool boxes, ammo boxes, etc.
Philbert
Thanks, I had seen some of these already. I particularly like the custom box this fellow put together, but my needs are pretty modest at the moment. I wanted something that was compact and easy to carry around.
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...-store-your-chains.137092/page-5#post-2270384

Nice--why the staggered height for the bolts?
I don't know why Guido did it that way but I would have as well so you don't weaken the wood along one grain line (making it more likely to split.) Notice the staggered lag bolts going into the vertical posts? I'd have done that too.

Nice--why the staggered height for the bolts?

I don't know why Guido did it that way but I would have as well so you don't weaken the wood along one grain line (making it more likely to split.) Notice the staggered lag bolts going into the vertical posts? I'd have done that too.

Herman nailed it, I did not want all the weight and pressure on one point in the board.

Bars and chains have to be in "unusable" condition for me to throw them out. ie, a laminated bar that
s coming apart, a nose sprocket split on a cheapo bar, a bar with bad chips along the rail that can't be dressed out, chains with lots of missing/damaged teeth that are worn enough to not be worth repairing, etc. My scrap bin does contain some of these items but I do save some pretty sorry stuff because once in a while I'll have a customer come by that has stuff even worse and I can move them up a notch for no cost to them. I save worn but not completely used up sprockets for the same reason. One may look at a sprocket and think "that's used up" until they see one twice as bad. lol.

Lucky me, I don't have chain & bar storage issues!:laugh:

I have one good chain & bar on each saw (3 + 1 medicating), possibly one "almost worn out" chain sitting on the shelf or hanging of a nail in the wall waiting for some "dirty duty".
I do have a few spare chains, but they are all unused in their boxes sitting on the top shelf next to my 2-stroke oil.
The two new spare bars I have hang on a nail in the wall.

My 36" B&C setup barely sees any work, thus the bar is in the factory cardboard sheet hanging on a nail together with my new 14" & 20" spare bars.
The chain is in the original factory cardboard box stacked in the corner of the shelf together with my new unused spare chains.

I do like the look of the boxes/cases in the OP, looks like a good carry along option too. :)

Built this last weekend.

View attachment 473028
Those can't be all You have!
Where is the rest of them? :rolleyes:

I have one good chain & bar on each saw . . ., possibly one "almost worn out" chain sitting on the shelf or hanging of a nail . . ..

I do have a few spare chains, but they are all unused in their boxes . . .

I am a big believer in having at least three chains per saw with me when I work. I do storm cleanup work and often hit stuff.

Saw manufacturers also recommend keeping 2 chains in rotation (pardon the pun) so that wear on the drive sprocket is even.

Then there are the used chains which are scrounged, and 'might' be used, re-sized, etc. 'Inventory', so to speak.

So, an earlier post makes good points: different types of chain storage for those you carry with you; spares or extras for specific saws; and 'inventory'.

Of course it is much easier if you only have one or two saws.

Philbert

Back