Chain "Tooth" damaged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichmondStihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was using my chainsaw today when all of a sudden the chain jumped off the guide bar. I then attempted to put the chain back on the guide bar and found that one of the teeth would not fit back down into it. I examined it closely and found that there was a tiny (1mm) notch/dent in it that now prevents it from being able to fit back into the guide bar. What is the best way to repair this without further damaging the chain?

Yup, (that sux) file the dent down, careful not remove too much and make it sloppy. I think bar steel is tougher than the links so you don't wear it out too fast, dunno, sort of curious on that, experts? Also, why did it hop off? A tad loose me thinks, should tension so that you can pull the chain up in the middle of the bar and not quite see the bottom of the driver, should turn freely.

I went out and purchased a tiny metal file. Thanks for the suggestion guys. I will file it down some tomorrow morning.

As far as the reason it fell off, I may have had the tension too loose. I had been using the chainsaw for a solid hour and had not made a tension adjustment. I guess the metal in the chain expanded and caused it to loosen up enough to come off. I will be more careful next time.

RichmondStihl said:
As far as the reason it fell off, I may have had the tension too loose. I had been using the chainsaw for a solid hour and had not made a tension adjustment. I guess the metal in the chain expanded and caused it to loosen up enough to come off.
Unless it was a brand new chain the chain should not be getting loose with an hours use. Check your oiler and possibly your sharpening technique. Once a chain goes through the first break-in stretch it really should not regularly get loose unless there is another problem.

rjhender@pacbel said:
A Bad sprocket and loose fitting chain !!!!!!!!
or tight wood pinching it, take chain off, buy new ones for back up and keep on cuttin, when you have time or you are in a jam in da feild get youself a pack o raker files you need these anyway, put chain on bar find the offending tang(s) and file them, checking to see your progress on the bar whatcha running anyhow????

jmack,

I am currently running a 036 sthil 62 cc with a 25" bar. The chain and bar are original, the chainsaw is probably about 10 years old but has not really been used that much.

At the time the chain jumped off I was cutting up a pile of mostly small limbs and a few larger limbs ranging from 1-6 inches in diameter.

I have since filed the dent/notch a little bit and the chain fit right back into the guide bar groove. I cut down and sawed up a small pine (10-12 inches in diameter at its widest point and probably only 30 feet tall) and also a few large limbs without any problems... So the saw is working fine again.

I appreciate the attention you guys have given to my post.

Latest posts

Back