Chain ..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORbowHntr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What do you prefer?? Stihl/OR chain??

i'm trying out Stihls Oil-O-Matic,,been using Oregon chain for years,but, i thought i'd try something a little different

Need more input!

I think that a good answer to your question is at least partly dependent on some info on which saw and application the chain is for, pitch, cutter profile of preference - and other characteristics you want (or want to avoid).

The only way to know what fits you best is really to try. Both Stihl and Oregon has chain models that there are little point in trying, though.

Last edited:
Try Carlton. The price is good. Also, on the 3/8 l.p., the Carlton's cutter is twice as long as Oregon's.

If you want to try Oregon, I suggest that you start with 7XLP if you use 3/8". In .325 I suggest 2XLP and/or 95VP.

95VP is a "narrow kerf" (NK) chain that many people find both fast and smooth. It is available in .050 only. In theory it requires special NK bar, but I am not sure that it really does.....

The LP chains is available in .050, .058 and .063.

Last edited:
Note also the hardness of the steel. Stihl is very hard, stays sharp but is harder to file when it does get dull, Oregon is soft but very easy to file and Carlton apparently is in between. I've only had experience with Oregon and Stihl myself. The trick with filing Stihl is not to push too hard on the file, just let it cut on its own.

Probably Baileys. Woodsman pro is carlton chain with a different brand name on it.

i really dont find stihl chain that much harder to sharpen. but i use the filer holder that has the file holder that attaches at both ends,for freehand filing. found it in an old estate sale .its made sturdier than what ive seen out there lately.for me it works a lot better than just the file handle that fits on the end of the file.

Klicketsacket has some of the best prices on chain. Are you looking for Square or round. I keep several rolls on hand since I am a Fat Glutten. :angel:

Marky Mark said:
Klicketsacket has some of the best prices on chain. Are you looking for Square or round. I keep several rolls on hand since I am a Fat Glutten. :angel:

Hi Marky,
Pardon my English, obviously English in the USA, Canada, Great Britain, Aussie land, New Zealand etc. is not all the same. Is a fat glutten suppose to mean a fre!!!!!! pig or something along those lines.

G, I am really getting old !

Last edited:
tony marks said:
i really dont find stihl chain that much harder to sharpen.
I agree with Tony (as usual). ;)
You have to be extra careful the very first time you put a file to a Stihl chain, otherwise it is no noticable differense.
I use slightly modified Husky/Em/Oregon roller guide when I file Stihl chain, and it works good..

Last edited:
;) :laugh:

So far I have found Stihl RM to be the easiest and most forgiving chain to file, of all I have filed. I don't use RM much myself, but I have a few friends than use them on their small Stihl saws, and they tend to end up close to me when it is time for filing.........

tony marks said:
i really dont find stihl chain that much harder to sharpen. but i use the filer holder that has the file holder that attaches at both ends,for freehand filing. found it in an old estate sale .its made sturdier than what ive seen out there lately.for me it works a lot better than just the file handle that fits on the end of the file.

It's not that much harder to sharpen with a decent file used properly but it's definitely much harder steel...

CNYCountry said:
It's not that much harder to sharpen with a decent file used properly but it's definitely much harder steel...
In addition the chrome is thicker on Stihl chain, which means that you probably can't get them as sharp as Oregon chain. On the flip side, they should hold their sharpness a bit longer.......

been using stihl chains..

no problems sharpening. but always use a sharp file mounted in an old homelite guide.

Latest posts

Back