Chainaw bar length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locker_32

Reaction score
I'm a new guy here. I have been reading a lot of the threads have learned a lot already...and had a few good laughs. nothing beats the one converting 3/8" to a decimal by dividing 1 by 8 and mutiplying by 3. if you have read that whole thread, you know what i'm talking about.
the only experience i've had with chainsaws is when i bought my current home. there were 4 pinetrees with in striking range of the house. i went down to the local rental store and rented a chainsaw and got directions on how to run it. i dropped all 4 where i wanted to (not on house). i don't know what kind it was or could i even tell you what size it was.
what brings me here, i was recently given a homelite xl and was doing some research and found this site. i haven't tried to start it yet, so i don't know if it will even run. i don't have anything to cut,but just want to get it running for the heck of it. the model # is 105074 and the ser# is 783190325. i have the owners manual but it's soaked with oil(found at bottom of case). can any body tell me what i have? Here is my dumb question..how do you measure the bar to see what length chain you need? thanks tom

Chain size

What kind of bar is it does it have a number on it. Also do you know the length from the front of the saw to the end of the bar?

Do you have a chain that fits the saw? If so, the easiest way is to simply take it in and say you need another loop of chain like that one (same pitch, gauge, etc).
As said, the "called length" is the amount of bar that is usable (sticking out from the saw body), rounded off to the nearest inch normally. The overall length will be longer, but is not how it is measured.

A good shade tree way to do it is to mount the bar and run a measure tape (like the ones used for sewing) around the bar and sprocket. Then use the attached file to covert feet into drive links. It's also a good chart if someone is switching pitches.

chainsaw bar length

thankyou grande dog...im going to try that...i'm kinda computor illiterate also. when i opened the file you attached, it was just a bunch of symbols. any help?

locker_32 said:
thankyou grande dog...im going to try that...i'm kinda computor illiterate also. when i opened the file you attached, it was just a bunch of symbols. any help?

Sounds like you don't have Adobe reader installed. You need it to be able to read the .pdf file that was posted.

Go here and click download
Adobe

The file opens fine for me.

Latest posts

Back