Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrk585

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What are some good chains. I really like stihl in general. I have heard that they are a very hard steel compared to most. I am looking for a chain that is very aggressive for saws that cut mostly hard woods green and aged not allot of dirty wood ,but some. First I am looking for a chain for a 036 with a 20" bar, then a 36 husky with a 16 " bar. I am also planning to get a 026 with 18" bar. right now I have a stihl chain on the husky it seems that is is almost to aggressive but the 036 is not as aggressive as i would like.

Carlton

Oregon

Stihl

These might help you look at what is available.

Chisel chain is the fastest cutting most aggresive chain, but dulls easily in dirty wood. You might try one on the 036, but the Husky 36 is likely 3/8"LP, which is only available in semi chisel. The main key is that all the safety features reduce cutting speed, at the expense of safer operation. Non safety chain should be used with caution if you haven't got experience with it.

Oregon tends to be slightly softer, Stihl harder, with carlton in between. All cut well, but the difference in hardness of the tooth can impact upon the length of time between filings.

There is lots of archived discussion on chain if you do a search and go back a few pages.

I haven't noticed the difference in hardness between the stihl and oregon chains although I imagine if you wait longer to sharpen the chain in may make a more noticeable difference I like to frequently brush up the cutters. To me the Stihl chain is easier to produce a very sharp uniform chain.

Lucky

Latest posts

Back