Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMezz

Reaction score
Hi. I am an Ironworker attempting a tree removal business for myself. I believe that I have everything in order to start cutting. I will be working out of a bucket truck because I have no expirience climbing trees. If I can't do a job with my bucket I plan on hiring a climber to drop the tree and I will take it from there. I have a lot to learn before I start climbing myself. I was hoping if i ran into any small problems I could come to this site to get some advice from some of you guys who have been around the block. My first small problem is this: One of the three saws that I bought was a Husqvarna 575xp. This saw did'nt come with a bar or chain so I purchased a bar that is 20" and bar that is 34" for this saw. I cannot find a chain to fit this 34" bar anywhere. I did, however, find a 100' chain length to make 34" loops out of. The problem with that is that I have never made a chain loop myself so I don't trust myself enough to do it. Is it easy? I would prefer to buy the 34" chain individually right now. Does anyone know how I can get a 34" chain (110 drive links of . 375 x .063 gauge)?

Thanks,
DMezz

I know I'm gonna run into bigger problems than this but this is annoying me right now.

Welcome to the site. A 34" bar is to big for that saw, it belongs on a 395xp sized saw. I have only seen 32" and 37" bars in that range for Huskies myself. Tree removal out of the bucket isn't always a walk in the park either, maybe you could hire a climber with bucket experience and ground for him while he shows you.

Oops

oops. What a way to introduce myself. look like a complete idiot. after rereading my material, the 575 is not meant to have a 34" bar. Wow.
If i was to use a bar and chain of that length for that saw would it hurt the saw?

Probably won't hurt the saw, and you might get away with it if you have razor sharp square chisel chain and cut mostly softwood. If you can afford it, you should get a bar in the recommended size range and shelve that 34" bar, buy a full skip chain for it and don't pull it out until you need it for an extra big softwood or something of that nature. You could also probably get some money out of it on evilbay if you choose to sell it. As far as making chains, yes that is the way to go! But you need a rivet spinner which is a specialty chain tool to do a good job. A chain breaker is nice, but you can get away with anything that will drive out those rivets. If you're an iron worker you probably know how to do that better than I do. Making loops is easy. I am not any kind of professional and I have no problem with it. Just make sure you get the DL counts right and that the rivets are secure. I have never had one of my chains break.

in a pinch i have used a dremel and a cutoff wheel to grind the rivet heads off, then when enough is ground a way pop the tie strap off with a small screwdriver. as for spinning the rivet, i would not even try working without a rivet spinner. i sell the spinner for $55, the breaker is the same. prices include shipping. the breaker and spinner i use are over 10 years old so you will get plenty of life out of the investment.

Breaking chain, spinning rivetsand making chain loops is extremely simple. ThePocket tools with a block and punches actually DO work but they are a pain in the behind. The Granberg Break & Mend is quite a good performer. Bench mounted spinners are easy peasey. The 34" bar on the 575 isn't a horrible overmatch-The 372 was rated for up to 32" bars and the 575 is reportedly a bit "torquier"...that being said-it is a bit much and I doubt that you will need such a bar often-Tree sizes vary but I seldom need more than a 28" bar and actually worked for years with nothing longer than a 24". If you truly need a 34" bar you probably really need a 85cc or larger powerhead.
I don't know how much experience you have.....hiring experienced help has both advantages and disadvantages but trying to feel your way on every job is very high-risk. Learn all you can BEFORE you jump into huge trees in tight places.

P.S. Baileys(one of the sponsers of this site-see link at top of the page) can make you any chain size you need at very reasonable prices if you don't want to start making your own just yet.

Latest posts

Back