Chainsaw advice I need a new one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out the door, taxes included, etc..not seeing much in the way of going home with a pro saw of any size at 400 bucks. Not brand new anyway. Need to be able to throw another benjamin in there to get closer, especially at a dealers, so they can set it up for you, first carb adjust, etc.

I know it's a little over your budget, But for all the more cutting you do.. Buy a Stihl 362 or Husky 562 with a 20"Bar and you'll have an awesome Firewood saw that will last you the rest of you life as long as you don't through it down through the woods :hmm3grin2orange:
Those are good choices but the 550xp or ms261 are not bad either and closer to his budget.

Fyi

And the Jonsered CS2255 is $400 55cc and 3.5 hp so its also on the list of maybe.

kgriff I believe the CS2255 is basically the same saw as the Husqvarna 455. The Husqvarna 555 isn't too far out of you price range might be worth a look. But... if you're looking to get away from Husqvarna none of these may interest you.

To be honest non of the advice any of you gave is going to help this guy, without first dealing with the issues he's had with his current saw. Dull chain, lack of bar and chain maintenance and who knows what. My advice to him is to stick around and do some leading before buying a new saw.

buy a good -026 pro

the stihl 026 pro will do the job for you in a used saw.......if you can find one

There may be a Local Member on here that may just be able to help you fix your old 51 if you supply the parts and Beer,Pie,bacon ETC..:msp_thumbup:

If the 51 is running fine and the chain is just tightening it may just be a simple fix with a new bar,chain,sprocket and possibly some oiler gears.Much cheaper than a new saw.What money you save you can buy a good used back up from a member in the tradin post area.there was a Very very nice Makita DCS510 in there earlier today cheap from a well respected member.the DCS is 50cc's of Dolmar Goodness in a blue package.

Last edited:
I say Used Pro saw All the way, learning to fix them isn't hard and is quite fun actually.:msp_thumbup:

Of course I would ditch the whole Idea about everything and find a good Mcculloch PM700:msp_thumbsup:

To be honest non of the advice any of you gave is going to help this guy, without first dealing with the issues he's had with his current saw. Dull chain, lack of bar and chain maintenance and who knows what. My advice to him is to stick around and do some leading before buying a new saw.

au contraire..but like I said in this reply, I can understand just wanting a new saw after years and years as well.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/236112.htm#post4317740

What is the issue with the 290? Spec wise it looks good 3.8 hp 56.5cc.. and $400.. I think the 310 isnt much more. Compairing the Echo the closest price wise is the cs-450 45 cc no hp specs and $379, compairing the Efco 152 51.7 cc 3.4 hp at $400. Next step up in the Efco is the 156 56.5 cc 4.1 hp which sound great but its $500.

Just to start a fight I cut a large deck of wood today in nearly 90 degree temps with a Husqvarna 460 and a Stihl 290 run by my buddies. I loved how quiet they are and how they start on the first pull, but my ugly yellow and black Poulan 5020ac kicked their butts.

I was amazed. It might not last as long as those german and swede saws, but I only paid $198....Their only comment was "WTF is that thing" and "WOW its loud!" I cut half again more rounds that either of them of equal wood.

you can't do that with one of those. you need something like this...$35....
ash tree...no problem....
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 295138View attachment 295139View attachment 295140View attachment 295141View attachment 295142

very nice work Quake!

Echo cs-590

You want value? Get an ECHO CS-590 Timber Wolf. $459 for a 59.8 cc engine with 4 hp and a 20" bar. $449 with a 18" bar. You get a 5 Year warranty too. If you are a commercial user, you get a 1 year warranty. Stihl and Husqvarna have nothing that can touch it for this price... both in terms of reliablilty, toughness, and power.

1) I probably go through 10 pick up truck loads plus some cutting maintenance on about 15 acres per year.
2) Wood left after logging last summer my guess is 20" diameter and less
3) Not expiernced on chinsaws, other than the husky chain issue I cant resolve. I am mechinically inclined to some extent.

Hello kgriff,

and welcome to this site! Many good things have been written here in the last few pages, but I believe many of it in an emotional sense.

1. you already have a very good saw. That you are having problems with it is a shame but should be easily solved. There are many things to consider so I will just elaborate on a few.
a. good quality chain and sharpening skills: no I dea what chains you are running but Stihl chain is considerd one of the best out of the box, available in any size and form for any chainsaw out there. I would further consider one of the Husqvarna roller sharpening guides, pricewise cheap but you have very consistant results. A sharp chain is like a saw one class up!

b. learn regular maintenance!: clean bar and saw=> a compressor is very useful for cleaning our tools and many problems result from improper cleaning (bar oil holes etc.). replacing worn bars and sprokets also belongs into this category. If you have a problem don't be afraid to ask here. post your problem with pictures and you will recieve more help than you want!

2. I also have the impression you feel your saw is underpowered for your need. In that case I would seriously consider a saw in the 55-65cc class. Yes they will be heavier.
Chainsaws are diveded in classes 1.semi pro=farmer and 2. pro class. For your needs it won't matter, if you do your regular maintenance! The semi pro class is usually detuned and heavier than the pro class in the same cc rating. You can overcome the detuned problem with minor modification(muffler modification = MM if interested use the search function, there are hundreds of threads available here).
Quality wise there is usually no difference in the classes of saws by different brand. One exception is Dolmar=Makita. Their semi pro class is built similar to the pro class.

Any of the following companies(same company different name&colour!) will make you happy.
Husqvarna=Jonsered, Dolmar=Makita, Echo=Shindaiwa, Emak=Efco=Oleo Mac, Hitachi=Tanaka, Solo= Cub Cadet, Stihl

What would I recomend? Have a chainsaw mechanic look at your old saw and see if it is a small problem to get it back to working condition.

If you want new for your need I would seriously think about a saw in the 60cc class. But you will expect to pay for it and you will have to upgrade your budget if you intend to buy local. The Echo 600p or the detuned 590 would be nice choices(it is important to have the carb set correctly at sale, they are often out of tune). The new Dolmar 6100 should be available sometime in fall in the US would be my number one choice on an economy aspect. The reviews sofar have been great. These saws are pro line saws. You can get these for the price of semi pro saws from the top two players!(Stihl & Husqvarna)
Top of the line will be Husqvarna 560xp or Stihl 362 where you would need to double your budget.

You can think about used and contact one of the rebuilders here on this site (f.e. nmurph). They usually have very good stuff that will get you into a totally different class on your planned budget. But don't forget they are used products so no guarentee.

Good luck!

I pulled apart the 51 while I am deciding... cleaned it pulled out the oil pump it seemed ok. I cleaned it all and the oil passage is clear. I put it all back together and stated cutting a tree and the chain tightened up till it wouldnt move no slack at all in the chain it looks like it used some oil during the 5 minutes of cutting. Is there any place where I can find a parts schematic of this saw(husky 51) it has to be something to do with the tension screw tightening on its own.

Latest posts

Back