Chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need a 70cc saw...a 60cc is not enough saw for that size tree. I tackled a 4' red oak with the 372 wearing a 24" bar. It was barely enough but it got the job done...13 truckloads later.

img_0780-jpg.428984

I will be run off for saying this but I wouldn't buy a saw just to buck one large log. You should be asking yourself what do you expect to be cutting after the big one is done. The poplar should be fairly easy to cut with most any sharp chained chainsaw.

Not to say that big saws aren't fun. But for most they are not necessary. Below is an oak similar in size to your log. I bucked it primarily with a 60cc saw. Though I used a 123cc saw on the big end, I could have done it all with the 60cc saw. Now 60cc saws don't get much love on AS but IMO they are actually the "right" size if you just have one saw and only occasionally buck the 30"+ log.

Ron

60cc 036Pro
IMG_2564.JPG

123cc SP125C
IMG_2566.JPG

I will be run off for saying this but I wouldn't buy a saw just to buck one large log. You should be asking yourself what do you expect to be cutting after the big one is done. The poplar should be fairly easy to cut with most any sharp chained chainsaw.

Not to say that big saws aren't fun. But for most they are not necessary. Below is an oak similar in size to your log. I bucked it primarily with a 60cc saw. Though I used a 123cc saw on the big end, I could have done it all with the 60cc saw. Now 60cc saws don't get much love on AS but IMO they are actually the "right" size if you just have one saw and only occasionally buck the 30"+ log.

Ron

60cc 036Pro
View attachment 448767

123cc SP125C
View attachment 448768

Ron,

You have a good point. I may not be cutting anything near the size of these logs anytime soon.

If I could rent a saw for this I would jump on the opportunity.

I haven't found any shops that will rent anything larger than 40cc/20" bar.

That being said, with the amount of wood I have available at no cost (other than time/expense of bucking & splitting), it may make sense to buy a saw for this job.

I should have been a little more precise. I wasn't saying not to buy a saw. I was trying to say not to pick your saw based upon one log. I'm sure you will pick one that suits your use. Ron

Home Depot rents pretty good sized makitas that would do the job.

Edit: they are only 64cc, but might be worth a look.

Back