chainsaw bar type reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kennyman

Kennyman

ArboristSite Lurker
I set up my business with a wholesaler. Everything was like 100% markup. A bar was $25 it retailed for $50. They had awesome sales. Laser tip welded bars for $5 each brand new. Chain precut 72lp 60 dL .050 ga for $5 a loop. I still have loops left and 25’ rolls of 72lp chisel chain. New rim and drum clutches.

I think the place is out of business now.
Stihl brand?

Kennyman

Kennyman

ArboristSite Lurker
Got a 30" cannon bar on my 480cd I treat that thing like gold touch up my chain every chance I get so I don't start to wear on it I'm hoping to make it last but she still gets worked dropped a 5 ft wide old growth pine earlier this winter had to walk it around but down she went running a archer loop on it

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
If the 480cd is running great I’d leave it along there aren’t much in parts for these around. I need to check local dealers for new parts next.

Ketchup

Ketchup

Urban Forestry Slogger
Bottom End:
Holzforma
Lazer
Other Chinese laminate bars
But they’re dirt cheap!

Then:
Forester Laminate
Oregon Laminate
Stihl Laminate (E)
GB Laminate

Mid range with replaceable nose:
Oregon/Husqvarna/Jonsered
GB (used to be cheap!)
Stihl ES
Tsumura
Sugihara/Total

Lightweight:
Oregon Reduced Weight $$$
Stihl light $$$
Sugihara $$
Tsumura $ (these are a good deal!)

Most durable:
Stihl ES $$
Sugihara
Cannon $$$$

Just my opinion though.

Many brands have been bought out, like Windsor (really good), Carlton (meh) and many others. Hard nose bars (like Stihl Duramatic) can often be bought cheap now, but aren’t easy on the power head.

Ask yourself: Will I ever actually replace the tip on this bar? Am I buying this bar because it looks good on the saw? How much will this $200 bar get used?

Beware of used EBay bars. Shipping can be killer and you can’t inspect before you buy.

Personally, I like Tsumura Light and Tough. I hate saws pulling my saddle down and giving me plumbers crack. So light is right and Tsumura is cheaper. No complaints so far, 2 years in.

If you need a bar for a 50cc homeowner saw, just buy a cheap laminate. Even the Chinese ones will be fine.

cary911

cary911

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Cannon bars have very hard rails, much harder than Stihl or Oregon, and are easily worth the money to me. Also the nose sprockets are half the price of Stihl (which is why I only run narrow nose Cannons vs the wide nose which uses a Stihl nose). I also run an Oregon reduced weight bar on an MS660 but it really is a little whippy. The MS460 has a fairly new 28" Stihl ES light bar. Both of these bars were well over $100.00 and each of these saws has a Cannon for firefighting work. I just put a 16" Stil light bar on my MS200t and completely changed the feel of the saw for the better. That bar was almost $80.00 including tax.

None of my saws are firewood saws or cookie cutters (though I will cut nearly any firewood I can get and I am running out of room). My saws are work saws and incidently have been running hard nose bars the last six weeks. I think for most people a cheaper and lighter bar is the best option. The Oregon Pro Light and the Stihl Rollamatic E are great choices. For heavy duty day in day out use the best bar barring the weight is Cannon followed closely by Stihl Rollamatic ES. Professional loggers will more than likely use a reduced weight bar.

I'm by no means a Production Faller. I do run long bars however, Oregens RW's. or Stilh's ES Lights. "I do have 2 "OREGON PRO" labeled Bars". A 30 & a 37" They seemed to be used exclusive in the day over the Powermatch's. I don't believe they make these anymore. Do you know the advantage, or the concept behind those blended nose, polished bars, Ideal for the professional fallers??? … I'd appreciate it!

BenGilstrap

BenGilstrap

For what it’s worth, I think every land owner out to have one shorter solid hard nose. An inexpensive laminate serves 99% of my needs, but the solid bar is for big cluster fudges.

mbrick

mbrick

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Ketchup nice detailed post. Are the Tsumura a rebrand equivalent to Sugihara? They look similar. Or is one of the two better?

Do you happen to have weight comparisons across a given size such as 24"?

I see Tsumura and Tsumura ultra light. Any durability concerns with the ultra light?
http://www.shopcomstocklogging.com/...RIVERS-MADE-IN-JAPAN-FOR-COMSTOCK_p_1885.html
http://www.shopcomstocklogging.com/...0-GAUGE-84-DRIVERS-MADE-IN-JAPAN-_p_2310.html

Edit: I found this thread with weights, parsing through now...
http://************/threads/guide-bar-data-and-picture-thread.1269/

Edit2: LOL they censor the URL here for the other big forum? Also found this, has almost all of the Stihl or Tsumura/Sugihara weights.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bar-data-picture-thread.265892/page-4

Found this data from here for Oregon Power Match, which means their 24" is around 3lb 8oz. So the Tsumura or Sugihara are about 1lb less.
Oregon Pro-Lite 24” .375 .063 84 drive links weight 1553g
Oregon Powermatch 24” .375 .063 84 drive links weight 1584g

Kennyman

Kennyman

ArboristSite Lurker
Bottom End:
Holzforma
Lazer
Other Chinese laminate bars
But they’re dirt cheap!

Then:
Forester Laminate
Oregon Laminate
Stihl Laminate (E)
GB Laminate

Mid range with replaceable nose:
Oregon/Husqvarna/Jonsered
GB (used to be cheap!)
Stihl ES
Tsumura
Sugihara/Total

Lightweight:
Oregon Reduced Weight $$$
Stihl light $$$
Sugihara $$
Tsumura $ (these are a good deal!)

Most durable:
Stihl ES $$
Sugihara
Cannon $$$$

Just my opinion though.

Many brands have been bought out, like Windsor (really good), Carlton (meh) and many others. Hard nose bars (like Stihl Duramatic) can often be bought cheap now, but aren’t easy on the power head.

Ask yourself: Will I ever actually replace the tip on this bar? Am I buying this bar because it looks good on the saw? How much will this $200 bar get used?

Beware of used EBay bars. Shipping can be killer and you can’t inspect before you buy.

Personally, I like Tsumura Light and Tough. I hate saws pulling my saddle down and giving me plumbers crack. So light is right and Tsumura is cheaper. No complaints so far, 2 years in.

If you need a bar for a 50cc homeowner saw, just buy a cheap laminate. Even the Chinese ones will be fine.
Was looking at the Tsumura bars online theyre pretty pricy
Ketchup nice detailed post. Are the Tsumura a rebrand equivalent to Sugihara? They look similar. Or is one of the two better?

Do you happen to have weight comparisons across a given size such as 24"?

I see Tsumura and Tsumura ultra light. Any durability concerns with the ultra light?
http://www.shopcomstocklogging.com/...RIVERS-MADE-IN-JAPAN-FOR-COMSTOCK_p_1885.html
http://www.shopcomstocklogging.com/...0-GAUGE-84-DRIVERS-MADE-IN-JAPAN-_p_2310.html

Edit: I found this thread with weights, parsing through now...
http://************/threads/guide-bar-data-and-picture-thread.1269/

Edit2: LOL they censor the URL here for the other big forum? Also found this, has almost all of the Stihl or Tsumura/Sugihara weights.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bar-data-picture-thread.265892/page-4

Found this data from here for Oregon Power Match, which means their 24" is around 3lb 8oz. So the Tsumura or Sugihara are about 1lb less.
Oregon Pro-Lite 24” .375 .063 84 drive links weight 1553g
Oregon Powermatch 24” .375 .063 84 drive links weight 1584g
Must be a slotted bar to be a lb less the others all weigh about the same

young bucker

young bucker

Don’t touch my lunch and can of chew..!!.
A personal opinion..i run husky 372/390 with stihl lights..can’t go wrong and the tips last long plus the rails are easy to maintain..the only thing that would set guys back is the price..I pay 204 cdn for a 32” bar and 225 cdn for a 36” .I can see it getting costly on guys whom are hard on gear..every camp I shift into barge or land has a pile of old bent bars stashed away all makes and sizes.

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just found some new old stock 17” Windsor H009/D009 hus roller tip bars for $20 each. There 3/8” .058 ga, 68dl. Huztl has the chain loops cheap. I try to buy Windsor first. Some smaller saw Windsor bars are $10, go to eBay. Here’s some deals on Windsor bars.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=windsor+chain+saw+bars

I have one son who is tough on chains, the cheap huztl chains are perfect.

Latest posts